Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

July 19 ... Scatterlings of Africa

Music legend Johnny Clegg passed this week. What a life ... captured and popularized the energy of Africa like no other white man, IMO.

What you see in the cabin at Riverbend was dreamed by me in Madagascar, in 1981. Consequently, I have very deep, mixed feelings about that part of the world and what it represents

Last edited:
IMG_0916.jpg

... after three weeks north

A super typhoon hit the metropolitan area of Tokyo on last Sunday for the first time. Almost a hundred power poles and a couple of towers have been destroyed in the outskirt area like Chiba Prefecture widely. Hot days continue but over 200k houses are still unable to use air conditioners, water supply, refrigerators, ovens, telephones, pc, tv because all depend on the electricity. Cashless payment is helpless too. I have understood well the importance of the solar panel and independent water source like your home.

I heard about the typhoon on NHK .... we don't have solar or independent water supply in the city, but at the cabin it has been a game changer. Japan has experienced some heavy weather recently.

I post the following for all the doubters and double-talkers who dismiss the importance of The Commonwealth - or at least my section of it ... :):

Tom Brokaw explains Canada to Americans. [VIDEO]
Looks like I'm
, oh, about 7 years late on this thread but just wanted to say I love Canada. Only been there 4 times but it was always great!
Beautiful, great trout fishing, and nice people. That pretty much runs the table in my book.
Just wish it wasn't so far from southern California.:(
Would visit more often.

November 11. Remembrance Day. First heavy snow.....

"It is the Soldier, not the minister who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."
― Charles M Province

January 31, 2020. Toronto

We are having an 'easy' winter, so far, touch wood. I miss my day-trips north, but I simply do not have the physical endurance, any longer. The winter 2019-20 will be, as Leks pointed out; the FIRST winter the cabin has gone unvisited since it was built, 1981-82. No wonder I miss the wonder of it all, week-by-week

What follows is my 'best of winter' .... over the recent years.
AtThefalls copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back