Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

August 2 - more, more, biblical rains ...... from the Gulf.

Little feet make for a future
IMG_1105.jpg
IMG_1107.jpg

Last edited:
September 4, sunny, windy, cool.
Rising moon over the Burnt river, taken by a neighbor downstream.
118765189_10157463398046512_5016999660152774164_o.jpg

On our stretch of river, the moon rises in line with the river - on cold February nights, hares sit on the ice and are 'moonstruck' - until the red fox nabs them from behind. Blood trail the next morning tells the story.

... white cedar is wonderful to work with. After the pre-cut build I went on to build an 18 x 15 sauna using the technique I had gained from the kit ... I used pine logs ... and would never do that again. Heavy and ant-prone.
My challenge was finding white cedar logs of a decent length (18 ft) .... but I always had logs milled to 5" flat side to flat side.
You and your bro did it the classic way ... love to see pics if you feel like posting.

... white cedar is wonderful to work with.

My challenge was finding white cedar logs of a decent length (18 ft) .... but I always had logs milled to 5" flat side to flat side.
You and your bro did it the classic way ... love to see pics if you feel like posting.
My brother was a consulting forester at the time and cruised a lot of timber. When he could find a good stand of cedar on a client's property, he'd take his fee in cedar stumpage. Gathered quite a collection over the years.
Cedar has so much taper we gave up on trying to build a wall as a single panel. We alternated panels of fourteen and eleven foot lengths with uprights between. The forty foot walls had a fourteen and two elevens, and the thirty footers had two fourteens. We used the butt ends of some of the longer logs to make the uprights and used the rest of the log in an eleven.
I'd love to send you pics, but a botched software upgrade wiped my disk and my photo archive, so I've got to go over to the log house and rescan the construction pics.
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back