Rear view mirrors in fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chocks away!

Senior Airman
Jan 16, 2005
Cyprus
Why weren't these standard in all fighters? It seems just about the most useful thing in dogfighting to me. Particularly in aircraft like the 109s and others with limited view to the rear. Why didn't the Germans in particular make any extensive use of them? :confused:

My former neighbor Mike Alba (Col. USAF Ret) flew a P-51 in the ETO during WW2. He had his P-51 modified with one rear view mirror mounted on the windshield frame. He said we swore by that mirror and stated that it save his life on a few occasions.

I actually found a photo of him from the site "Little Friends." You could see his custom mirror. In other photos I've seen of him in his P-51 "Dottie" he had the mirror mounted much higher.

Attachments

• alba_966.jpg
    alba_966.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 913
FLYBOYJ said:
My former neighbor Mike Alba (Col. USAF Ret) flew a P-51 in the ETO during WW2. He had his P-51 modified with one rear view mirror mounted on the windshield frame. He said we swore by that mirror and stated that it save his life on a few occasions.

I actually found a photo of him from the site "Little Friends." You could see his custom mirror. In other photos I've seen of him in his P-51 "Dottie" he had the mirror mounted much higher.
My point exactly... Hmmm...

the subject was already coverd by me in an earlier thread. Not sure why you guys don;t go through older postings and post on there. I placed sveral nie pics of 1-3 mirrors on P-47 and P-51's for indication.

chocks away breathe deep now .........

Erich said:
the subject was already coverd by me in an earlier thread. Not sure why you guys don;t go through older postings and post on there. I placed sveral nie pics of 1-3 mirrors on P-47 and P-51's for indication.

chocks away breathe deep now .........
Only joking mate. But my subject is different! Doesn't anyone understand me? (ok that was gay)

lesofprimus said:
Once it was understood that alot of pilots were being lost to sneak attacks from the 6 oclock posistion, more than a couple pilots started getting them put up there...

Great pic and story FBJ.............

Thanks Les - I got more on this guy, will post when the subject arises

evangilder said:
GT, I find that graphic you put in this post to be quite offensive to Americans. Would you please remove it? Thanks

I do to - if you want to protest world events and politics, I suggest creating another fourm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back