Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Semi-serious question. If that is allowed? I also have been stocking up. Don't really have to worry about the 'stink-eye' from the boss, but I have seen a raised eyebrow since the 'stash' has outgrown the cabinet storage space and is now stacking on the shelving.

The question. How many, like myself, have been buying with the concern (back of my mind) that that $20 (name your currency) kit will soon become a $30 kit in the very near future? The push to end oil and gas production (guess where plastic comes from?) will not be good.

Not a fear, just a concern!

Semi-serious question. If that is allowed? I also have been stocking up. Don't really have to worry about the 'stink-eye' from the boss, but I have seen a raised eyebrow since the 'stash' has outgrown the cabinet storage space and is now stacking on the shelving.

The question. How many, like myself, have been buying with the concern (back of my mind) that that $20 (name your currency) kit will soon become a $30 kit in the very near future? The push to end oil and gas production (guess where plastic comes from?) will not be good.

Hadn't given the fossil fuel issue a thought but now that you brought it up I'm going to have to start hording like crazy, as to the cost of kits if I can find a good price I hit it like a big mouth bass. Damn now I won't be able to sleep nights worrying about the fossil fuels issue and plastics!

Don't worry. Plastics are so essential they won't be going away in the near future. Especially less of a worry
if you are my age and up (have to take your shoes off to count that far).
Not worried really. You are correct, plastics will not be going away in the near future (ours anyway). However, the costs to produce! Supply and demand will always be a factor in determining those prices and guess which industeries will be sucking hind teet?

This a real concern when I look for what I want. A kit that was $20 is $30 later or a $25 kit becomes $40 or more. When I am looking through items, I see kits I bought for a low price are outrageous. It's unbelievable, but true.

Hadn't given the fossil fuel issue a thought but now that you brought it up I'm going to have to start hording like crazy, as to the cost of kits if I can find a good price I hit it like a big mouth bass. Damn now I won't be able to sleep nights worrying about the fossil fuels issue and plastics!
Ha! Sadly, I feel you're 100% correct. I say that because as I mentioned to you in the past, most of my 400+ stash was bought 20ish yrs ago from Hobby Island (I think I'm probably paying for Dave's retirement right now....lol) and I look at what I paid for the majority of my kits and I look at the prices they're going for now. Yikes. It's effin' scary which leads me to one of my "back of my mind" concerns:
1. There's NO way I'd have my current stash if I had to buy at today's prices and I sure as hell don't see it getting better any time soon if at all.
2. No wonder there aren't any younger "kids" (I mean HS-college age) that I know of who not only have ANY interest in this plastic stuff, but how in the hell could they justify spending $40+ USD on a kit they'd probably pooch (like we all did back in the day) without someone who could help them and/or show them the ropes? The ones I know would certainly rather play fortnight or whatever the hell is "popular" now.

Knowhatimsayin?

Admittedly 'some' of the more recent price increases are warranted and not material related. Look at the detail and the quality of the sprus (speaking flash here) and this did not happen by accident; someone invested time and talent. I'll gladly pay for innovation and improvement. Just not happy with the trend in piling on; transportation, material, labor, etc. Reducing the source supplies will only compound the material issues.

Which brings me to ANOTHER issue. I am stocking as fast as I can. Outlay and wife monitoring not being issues, it's where to buy from. I am trying to keep my purchases as non-Chinese as possible; Eduard, Airfix, Tamiya and a few others. But I'm running out of kit uniqueness'. How many 109s or Spits does one need??

And I have a two story five bedroom house and have taken the closet space of three of those bedrooms! I'm reaching critical velocity!
That's why God created basements, sir. :evil4: I'm going into the rafters in a few places.....haha!

IMG_1533.JPG

Having decided to get back into modelling I've ordered the Airfix 1/72 scale Hurricane Defiant and Gladiator. I bid on a small collection on E-Bay every time I bid someone else did within seconds despite there being no bids for a week. I made three bids and was outbid within seconds each time. I smelled a "scam" at work, what are the "ins and outs" of E-Bay?

Having decided to get back into modelling I've ordered the Airfix 1/72 scale Hurricane Defiant and Gladiator. I bid on a small collection on E-Bay every time I bid someone else did within seconds despite there being no bids for a week. I made three bids and was outbid within seconds each time. I smelled a "scam" at work, what are the "ins and outs" of E-Bay?
I believe there are "sniper" programs that some people use. Not sure exactly how it works, but I assume that's maybe some of it. For what it's worth, I learned a LONG time ago to set my highest price (including shipping) I'd be willing to pay for something and either immediately bid on something or wait until inside the last minute of the auction. If something goes above my max. price, I just let it go. There are very few things in this world that there are only one of and models aren't one of 'em! Avoid getting into a bidding war. Set your limit and stick to it.
At least that's what kinda-sorta works for me!

I believe there are "sniper" programs that some people use. Not sure exactly how it works, but I assume that's maybe some of it. For what it's worth, I learned a LONG time ago to set my highest price (including shipping) I'd be willing to pay for something and either immediately bid on something or wait until inside the last minute of the auction. If something goes above my max. price, I just let it go. There are very few things in this world that there are only one of and models aren't one of 'em! Avoid getting into a bidding war. Set your limit and stick to it.
At least that's what kinda-sorta works for me!
Thats what I thought, I stopped at what was still an attractive price, just because I was sure I wasnt going to get it. The last time, I was outbid before my bid could have been seen, there were no bids for days before and no more after.

With Jgreiner.
When bidding on E-Bay, decide what you would pay at most (taking into account postage and import duties) and enter that in the box.
It usually goes up in 50c increments, so, for example, if opening bid is $10.00, and your highest bid (the amount you entered) is $20.00, the system will place your bid as $10.50.
If someone else bids, but it is lower than your max, the system will automatically raise your bid to 50c higher than their last bid. If however their bid is higher than your max, you have been outbid, and will have to decide if you wish to enter a new max bid or let it go.
That's the basics of it (which I learnt the hard way!)
I have heard of 'Snipers' on E-bay, but am not sure how exactly they do it. I lost a couple of bids to these guys myself, losing in the last few seconds, without a chance to increase my bid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back