Recent Purchases (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit of an "Oops" with the B-24 - kit has decals for "Witchcraft", which was a B-24H, not J.
From what I've seen of the previews, it looks reasonably good overall, with nice interior detail, although it looks like the turrets still have joints in the clear areas, like the Monogram kit.
Still welcome though, and I'd considered getting it for my B-24 project, but having to do the same mods made me decide against it.
When I get it in I'll do a Monogram/HB comparison. There needs to be a good H model conversion. Should be for the most part a different set of clear parts if I recall correctly.

IMG_20240223_144237.jpg

IMG_20240223_144400.jpg

IMG_20240223_144827.jpg

Don, there were many small variations in the "H" model, especially between production factories. Canopies and waist windows (on later models), and especially bombardier and navigator windows, could vary, for example.
But for "Witchcraft", this was a Ford-built example, with the distinctive nose bulge and "S" fairing, which would need to be scratch-built, unless the elusive Koster conversion kit can be found.
See my B-24 Diorama build for what's needed, and the book "Consolidated Mess", by Alan Griffith is a must for checking details, even down to painting patterns.
I'm guessing the kit was designed around the Collings Foundation "Witchcraft", with fairly poor research concerning markings for the type.

Just watched a video review of the HB B-24J.
It looks rather good overall, and worth getting, but I noticed a couple of negatives (from my point of view anyway).
First, the nose turret, at least, has the clear parts moulded similar to the much older (1976) Monogram kit, that is, with a visible joint where there shouldn't be one, although it does have nice interior detail.
Second, it appears from the instruction sheet that the ammo tracks to the rear turret are on both sides, where, from those I've seen on at least three examples, they were on the starboard side only.
Finally - vinyl tyres ! A pet "hate" with me, as they can't be "flattened", and they very often degrade over time.

But, other than that, and the previously mentioned "Witchcraft" decals, incorrect for a "J" model, as "Witchcraft" was a Ford-built "H" model, it looks to be a nice kit, perhaps though with some detail modelled on "modern" equipment, rather than WW2 service fit.

Hear ya on the vinyl tyres Terry. There was a beautiful model halftrack in the Tamiya shop in Budapest. Absolutely beautifully made, but unfortunately it had been sitting on their display shelf for some time, and the rubber tyres had split. Real shame.
My Academy Catalinas all have them unfortunately...

Yep, I remember building a very nice 1/20th scale F1 car around 45 years ago, which was in a display cabinet for maybe three years.
Went to pick it up to show to a friend, and the tyres had stuck to the shelf and were sort of melting !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back