Recent Purchases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finally picked up the Revell 1/32nd scale Beaufighter from Iris's shop today. This is for the MTO/North Africa GB.
Considering this kit was originally released in 1974, it's not bad overall. A bit basic, with (fine) raised panel lines etc, but that's not a problem. The interior is totally inaccurate though, with the main bulkhead about ten scale feet too far forward, and with two other bulkheads and side consoles that didn't exist! But it's got a lot of scope for some nice scratch-building. It's also rather large and beefy! But as Herr Doktor Wojtek would say, 'A big model, a big fun'!

hey Terry some decent pics in here and a fella on the same venture might give you some different ideas on the same problem.Cheers Kevin

1/32 Revell Beaufighter Mk.If (extreme makeover) - Britmodeller.com

Thanks Kevin! There's a couple of useful things in there I can use, especially some of the cockpit colour details. I won't be having the fuselage on mine cut open, although I will be converting it to a MkVIf night-fighter. I was going to make a Mk1f, which would have meant a different interior in the mid -section, with drum-fed cannon, a point that most modellers seem to miss, fitting ammo tanks in error. Fortunately, the MkVI had the box-like ammo tanks, so it'll make some of the work a little easier, but there's still going to be a heck of a lot of internal scratch-building to be done but only the bits that can be seen!

Yes, never seen that before. All picsIi've seen of Beaus, and the couple of interiors I've seen 'in the flesh', had metal floors, or at least they looked metal. They certainly weren't bare wood - intersting, I'll have to dig a bit deeper.

Nipped out to the Post Office (didn't know they closed on Wednesday afternoon!!) and passed one of those 'everything discounted' shops. Saw these at the remarkable price of £3 ($4.92 US, $6.18 Aus, $5.67 CND), so had to get 'em, especially as my old pastels are just about done (those that I managed to find!).

Attachments

• Fire Spit Build 023.jpg
    Fire Spit Build 023.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 50
Received my shipment from Patriot Surplus this morning. (Note that I won't be using that knife at work as I would get fired for bearing a 12" Ka-Bar replica.)

When I looked at it for the first time, I thought that Ka-Bar didn't look so sharp... Until I slightly ran my finger tip on the blade... Ouch ! The exact same feel as cutting yourself with a peice of paper. Good thing I didn't put too much weight on it...

Attachments

• 1985455.jpg
    1985455.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 1985299.jpg
    1985299.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 81
Not sure BB, but I thought I saw a 1/48th SR71 on one of the Revell web-sites, the U.S. one I think. If so, maybe one of the US mail order houses could supply it - or check with The Aviation Hobby Shop at West Drayton, UK, they list some Revell/Monogram imports.
I believe there was a Testors U2/TR1 around at one time - again, it might still be around, possibly under the Revell lable.

Last edited:
I have to say a big 'Thank You' to Jan, as, due to his fantastic efforts in monitoring e-Bay, and bidding on my behalf, I collected this from the Parcels Office today.
This is the first (unbuilt) kit of what is going to be a compact history of 56 Squadron, R.A.F., from 1918 to 2008, in 1/48th scale. One model has already been built, and just needs some finishing touches, although I have to change the Squadron markings to portray a 56 Sqn. aircraft. I'll shortly be posting an introduction to the project elsewhere in the Modelling section.
Thanks again Jan, you're a star mate!

Attachments

• 56 Sqn Build 002.jpg
    56 Sqn Build 002.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 69
I'm going to get shot down here but to me the Wildcat and Avenger look like brothers (With the exception of the Avengers torpedo and gunners chair). Frame wise..

Attachments

• image02.jpg
    image02.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 71
  • avenger_1.jpg
    avenger_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 71
Gonna have to agree, Maglar. Grumman aircraft were all tubby in that period from the F3Fs to the F8F. But, I have to say that the F4F appeals to me much more over the F6F and TBF. Maybe it wasn't the most maneuverable or powerful of the Grumman-Grown navy's stable but I like it just the same. Even though the F6F had the highest kill ratio of the war it seems to me the F4F pilots battled the cream of the Japanese pilots where the F6F pilots had the happy time of annihilating inexperienced kids. Two different wars almost. That said, the F4F in the right hands and used with the right tactics was a formidable machine in its own right.

Yeah Mag, the Wildcat and Avenger were very similar in shape, unsurprisingly, although, of course, the Avenger was twice the size. I think the only Grumman type Ii really like from the period(for visual appeal I mean) is the Bearcat - when airborne. On the deck, the undercart looks out of proportion. OK, it was very well designed, and suited the purpose, but it just spoils the look of the machine. And yes, I know, it's a weak point to nit-pick over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back