Recent Purchases (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi A4K!!!
Yes, the Revell Spitfire Mk.22/24 is a reboxing of the Matchbox kit!
It seems pretty good for a Matchbox!!!
does anyone have info on the Spitfire Mk.24???

A nice stuff you bought Luis.:D You will have a lot of work on them.:D
What particular do you need on the Spit Mk.24?

Wow, you've got a lot there Almeida!

And at the guys who gave me suggestions:

Wayne: I have D-9 already, and my parents aren't too keen on me getting more of the same model.

A4K: My brother just got that one, there was only one in the city that I could find.

However, a 109 would be cool.

Wow nice haul :) Great feeling isn't it when you get home and admire it all.

Ah righo Evan I was suspecting that recently. Whats the Wellington kit like? Im sorely tempted at it at the moment!

Spitfire Mk24 in detail
A walkaround of a Mk24,

What wiki has to say,

Mk 24 (type 356)

Spitfire F.24 of 80 Squadron, seen over Hong KongThe final Spitfire variant, the Mk 24, was similar to the Mk 22 except that it had an increased fuel capacity over its predecessors, with two fuel tanks of 33 gallons (150 l) each installed in the rear fuselage. There were also zero-point fittings for rocket projectiles under the wings. All had the larger "Spiteful" tail units: modifications were also made to the trim tab gearings in order to perfect the F 24's handling characteristics. Late production aircraft were built with short-barrelled, electrically fired Mark V Hispano cannon.

Performance was impressive – the F 24 achieved a maximum speed of 454mph, and could reach an altitude of 20,000 ft in eight minutes, putting it on a par with the most advanced piston-engined fighters of the era.

Although designed primarily as a fighter-interceptor aircraft, the Spitfire proved its versatility in several different roles. In fighter configuration the F 24's armament consisted of four short-barrelled 20mm Hispano cannon – operational experience had proved that the hitting power of these larger weapons was necessary to overcome the thicker armoured plating encountered on enemy aircraft as the war progressed. The aircraft also served successfully in the fighter-bomber role, being capable of carrying one 500lb and two 250lb bombs, with rocket-projectile launch rails fitted as standard.

A total of 81 Mk 24s were completed, 27 of which were conversions from Mk 22s. The last Mk 24 to be built was delivered in February 1948. They were used by only one RAF squadron, No. 80 Squadron RAF, until 1952. Some of the squadron's aircraft went to the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force where they were operated until 1955.

Introduced into service in 1946, the F 24 differed greatly from the original Spitfire Mk I in many respects and undoubtedly brought the design to the peak of perfection, being twice as heavy, more than twice as powerful and exhibiting an increase in climb rate of 80% over the prototype aircraft, 'K5054'. These remarkable increases in performance arose chiefly from the introduction of the Rolls-Royce Griffon engine in place of the famous Merlin of earlier variants. Rated at 2,050 hp, the twelve-cylinder Vee liquid cooled Griffon 61 engine featured a two-stage supercharger, giving the Spitfire the exceptional performance at high altitude that had been sometimes lacking in early marks.

80Sqn5.jpg

No. 80 Squadron Jan 48 - Dec 51

I've picked up a few on sale lately.

Tamiya 1/48 prop-action Raiden (2 of them), Kyofu, and Rufe.

1/48 Revell Germany B-26 Marauder.

1/72 Minicraft Ventura Gunship.

Dragon 1/72 JagdTiger and JagdPanzer IV.

1/48 Tamiya Dornier Do335B, heavily-armed Pfeil.

I'm still having wet basement problems. Dug some root plugs from the sump pump pipes. Gonna install a second sump and pump on the other side of the house. If that doesn't help I'll open a water park.

I'll finish the Nashorn.

Someday.

tom

My most recent purchase is Italeri's 1/48th ACH-47A Armed Chinook; I've been into helicopters for some reason for the last year or so; I'm almost done with my MRC 1/35th OH-58D Armed Kiowa. But, lately, I've gotten really interested in U-boats, particularly the VIIC; I think my next purchase will be Revell's 1/72nd Type VIIC, it's supposed to be a really good kit, even at 2-1/2 feet long.

Early afternoon actually mate. Though usually im on here at midnight- 2am when most of you guys are on aswell :)

G'day guys!

Alex, the MPM wellington kit is fantastic, with parts for a Mk.I, III, and X on the one set of sprues. As such it is sold as a Mk.Ic, Mk.Ic/VIII; and MK.III.
Under the Italeri boxing it is sold a a MK.X. See these reviews:
Vickers Wellington Mk.X Review by Brett Green (Italeri 1/72)
Vickers Wellington Mk. Ic Review by Brett Green (MPM 1/72)
Wellington Mk. IC/VIII Preview (MPM 1/72)
Wellington Mk.III Preview (MPM 1/72)

This kit has since been surpassed by the Trumpeter 1/72 kit, which dosen't just have the cockpit as with the MPM kit, but full radio operators area and bomb bay (minus bombs) aswell. The only complaints seem to be that the wings are 'overworked'. See the following:
Trumpeter Wellington 1/72 - ARC Air Discussion Forums

The way I see it, the ideal kit would be the Italeri/ MPM kit with Trumpeter's extra details added. CMK also do resin detail accessories for the Wellington in 1/72, and Falcon do a Clear-Vax set for the Matchbox kit, including all turrets (set no.8: RAF bombers, world war II, part 1 List of 1/72 scale Clear-Vax canopy sets )

Well worth it, I reckon! It's even got 'AA-' codes of No.75 (NZ) sqn !
The Italeri kit might be better to get than the original MPM one, as they've redone the exhausts in resin (which look great!). Change the roundels though, they're the wrong size, and the red/blue proprtion is wrong (as usual for Italeri).

Only had a quick gander at the contents but its seems pretty impressive!
I assumed it would have a merlin and gun bays like the Spit but alas no :(

My only gripe is they curled the decals up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back