Recommended books for the library?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

eagles of the third riech is also very good deals more with personalities than aircraft but gives good details of order of battle and the sheds light on some infighting and backstabbing that didnt help the luftwaffe

Twoeagles, do buy Key´s "Spitfire-The History". This is very closely a model of how aircraft monoghraps should be done.

anyone interested in the Night Fighter war ?

I am... and I'm also interested in your avatar.. do you have a larger version I could use on a virtual plane ?

However as for the book..

'Under the Wire' - William Ash.

A very good read in which you don't know whether to laugh or cry.

regards

Simon

anyone interested in the Night Fighter war ?

I would be interesting in night fighter war also Erich, Christmas is around the corner and I can always use more reading material.

Currently reading these two books.

The Sting of the Luftwaffe by John Vasco and Fw-190 in North Africa by Andrew Arthy and Morten Jessen

Thanks Micdrow

Night fighter war? Absolutely! Read a book 30 years ago by Len Deighton -
a novel really, about night fighters...Anyway, I snagged a set of A. Galland's
books published by Doug Champlin, and both signed by the General, and have
started reading "A Pilot's Life". Galland's always been a bigger than life for me.

Okay - just received "Revenge of the Red Raiders", volume 2 of the
"Eagles over the Pacific", and I can't put it down. Tremendous book!
I tried to locate the JV44 book as recommended by Erich, but the one copy
I found was listed at somewhat over $1,000!!! That must be some collectible
book!!!

Some of the books in my collection consist of the following.

1. JG 26 Vol 1 and Vol 2 by Donald Caldwell
2. Sea Eagles The Messerschmitt Bf 109 T by Francis L Marshall
3. First two volumes of JG 3 by Prien
4. First and last volume of JG 53 by Prien
5. Jagdgeschwader 301/302 by Willi Reschke
6. Volume 1 of Jagdgeschwader 300 by Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat
7. Zerstorer Me 110 and its units in 1940 by John J Vasco and Peter Cornwell
8. On special missions Luft Research and Experimental Squadron 1923-45 by J Richard Smith, Eddie J Creek and Peter Petrick
9. Luftwaffe in North Africa Campaign by Werner Held and Ernst Obermaier
10. KG 200 by George J Thomas
11. Major Hans Assi Hahn by Jerry Crandall
12. Luftwaffe Fighter Bomber over Britain by Chris Goss
13. Fw-190 in North Africa by Andrew Arthy and Morten Jessen
14. The sting of the Luftwaffe by John Vasco
15. Camouflage and Markings of the Aeronautica Nazionale Republic by Ferdinando D Amico and Gabriele Valentini
16. Spitfire the History
17. Mighty Eighty War Diary Roger Freeman
18. Figher Units and Pilots of the 8th airforce by Kent D Miller
19. The Battle of Britain Then and Now by Winston G Ramsey
20. Japanese Naval Aces and Figher Units in WWII by Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa
21. The Siege of Rabaul by Henry Sakaida
22. Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War by Rene J Francillion

The ranking order is just so its easier to figure out each book. I have lots more but the ones above are the ones I use the most it seems.

Micdrow :oops:

What do you all think of the book Messerschmitt Bf 109 Recognition Manual, written by Marco Fernandez-Sommerau? Accurate? Reasonably thorough? Need one of you 109 'sperts to weigh in here. It sits on my
shelf, bought thinking I would use it to help me model the 109 more accurately
(still haven't gotten around to starting one)...

I'm not sure who recommended it but I bought the "Bloody Shambles" series over the Christmas holidays and am reading it. Very good so far. Excellent detail.

Whomever posted it (lost track of the post), kudos to you. Great call.

yes you guys need to pick up some book on the night fighter war/RAF bomber command and at least with the RAF there is plenty to choose from, as the nachtjagd seems to hit the low end.

one I will mention that will be out in spring ? of 2007 is Theo Boiten's "Nachtjagd War Diaries", volume 1 covering the defence of the Reich vs the RAF. volume 2 is years down the road covering the Nachtjagd and it's ops on the Ost front.
the volume 1 will be huge covering as many of the Luftwaffes pilots, crews as possible with at least 5 kills maybe less, personal stories and many photos. Theo has submitted the manuscript for publication to Red Kite from the UK at 2006 years end so am quite looking forward to this massive work .........

E ~

Thanks, Erich, for the heads up on the Nachtjagd War Diaries, will be looking for it then in the spring(?).

Tim - I also picked up the 3 volumes of Bloody Shambles over the holiday, but have only browsed the photo's so far. Happy you hear you are liking it, gives me some confidence I didn't mis-spend my $$$.

Christopher Shores does a great job on Bloody Shambles - he also has 2nd Tactical Air Force history out.

Beaufighters in the Night: The 417th Night Fighter Squadron USAAF, published by Pen and Sword Books.

It's a different look at the Beaufighter through the eyes of US air and ground crews. Also covers their P-61 ops on the last two days of the war and their post-war experiences.

one I will mention that will be out in spring ? of 2007 is Theo Boiten's "Nachtjagd War Diaries", volume 1 covering the defence of the Reich vs the RAF.

..not due out until spring 2008 unfortunately.....I translated over 70 pages of first person accounts for this 500 page work so its a bit disappointing to see the publisher sitting on it for so long ..and then wanting to bring it out in two volumes ...same thing with the JG 300 books ..finished working on these (and handed them over) over two years ago ...

if you're doing a book seriously think about publishing it yourself..

I'd also like to highly recommend JV44 Gallands Circus by Robert Forsyth. WOW what a book :shock: ! I have put it down for a few days now, otherwise I'd had read it from end to end. This is one of those books where you should unplug the phone, lock the door etc to read. Is JG 300 Wilde Sau Vol. 1
by Jean-Yves Lorant and Richard Goyat anything to go by? How does Jagdgeschwader 301/302 "wilde Sau": In Defense Of The Reich With The Bf 109, Fw 190 And Ta 152 by Willi Reschke and Green Hearts First in Combat with the Dora 9 by Axel Urbanke compare to Forsyth's JV44, would they make a good library over the JG 300, 301, 302 and JV44? I know that the Urbanke book is about the JG 54 and the Dora-9, but is it a good book?

..is the Pope catholic?....all the Eagle Editions books are good quality productions ....however the company's cash flow situation means that their production schedule is hit and miss...still waiting for Vol II of JG 300 two years after finishing the translation...surely you've read Rowan's review of Vol 1, Jan..? (..'some of the best accounts of aerial combat ever written..')

Review of JG 300 Vol 1 by Rowan Bayliss at amorama.co.uk

Reschke's book isn't as detailed as the JG300 books - in fact its downright inaccurate in places - nor does it have anything like the superlative photo coverage (he compiled it while living behind the wall in East Germany)

hmmmmm interesting as I received word from one of the co-authors that it would be late spring this year. oh well what the heck. Reschkes book is small scale and was actually to be written on a private note as his bio but he extended it with the notes he had. It could be broadened out from what I hear with the additional info he has been able to log.

as to EE yes it takes time. Their Dora Green hearts took years and I mean years to develop and publish. In any case yes buy them. Once these book are completed-JG 300, Eagles books and a couple others J is probably going to hang it all up and contain himslef with art prints and rest

Neil is right though self-publish, you have personal control in all aspects

The Ninth Air Force in World War II - by Kenn C. Rust.

2 Group RAF (A Complete History 1936 - 1945) - Michael J.F Bowyer

2nd Tactical Air Force Vol. I, II, III. - Chris Shores.

Are probably the three most important books for any extensive info on the tactical role of the air force in Europe, World War II. The 2 Group book can set you back .. a lot of money, as I've seen the hard-back (which I have) selling for over £100 ($190).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back