Recommended books for the library? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

EE's JG 300 volume 2 due out anytime soon, as well as Jerry's volume 1 of the Fw 190Dora series. After volume 2 is released and I think his Eagles-pilots book............watch out a neat surprise............nothing more said right now but...............nah I am not saying anything though I would like to :idea:

E ~ the merciful

Looking forward to the long awaited book on the Ta-152...

Soren I am not sure what all the problems are with Motorbooks and the publishing of the Ta 152 book. wish they would crank it up cause it is going to get lost in the shuffle of the neat books coming out late spring through summer 07

hurry the heck up Motorbooks.

I'm really curious as to what problems they're having as-well, its been a long wait now. Perhaps there's some funding problems ? Wouldn't be a first..

well there will be many Luftwaffe titles in the near future. Monogram is just plain slow, always has been and probably always will ........... I do not understand either, wish this Ta 152H job would get on the market as I am really curious if anything is new within

nope, I wish. my understanding it is going to be very technical. As to operations I am not all sure, but what this book does not cover something else will which I will not post about .......well not quite yet

"One Man's Window," Dennis Barnham, 1956 h/c or later paperback. Try ABE Books, actually. Of special interest to visual artists/Spitfire buffs/pre-Beat Zen cultural historians.

Most of my books are in boxes, but here are a few I recommend that I have not seen posted yet.

JG54: A Photographic History of the Green Hearts (by Held, Trautloft, and Bob).

Luftwaffe War Diaries (by Cajus Bekker)

Black Cross/Red Star vol 1, 2, 3 (by Christer Bergstrom)

Currently re-reading 'D-Day - The battle for Normandy' by Anthony Beevor. One of the best books I have read. Very detailed in the accounts of what happened. Also one of my other favourites in my collection if 'A Bridge Too Far' by Cornelius Ryan. I have read this book loads of time. It's one of those that I keep gonig back to time and time again.

Beevor's book on D-Day is excellent, as are Stalingrad, Berlin and The Spanish Civil War

A few more I can recommend, some aviation, some naval, some military;

Reich Intruders by Martin Bowman - a history of 2 Group RAF during WW2

Dreadnought and Castles of Steel by Robert K. Massie - on the Edwardian naval arms race and the Great War at Sea, respectively

Firts Blitz by Neil Hanson - on the German bombing campaign against London in 1917-18

Engage the Enemy More Closely by Corelli Barnett - excellent overall history of the RN in WW2

The Price of Glory by Alistair Horne - brilliant short account of the Battle of Verdun

The Sea Warriors by Richard Woodman - history of RN frigates and other small vessels in the Napoleonic Wars and War of 1812

The Last Citadel by Noah Andre Trudeau - very detailed account of the operations culminating in the capture of Petersburg, VA, June 1864-April 1865

The White War by Mark Thompson - on the Italian Front in WW1

The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D. Hornfischer - on the Battle of Samar

Pyrrhic Victory by Robert A. Doughty - operational and strategic account of the French Army in WW1

Culloden by James Prebble - short account of the last land battle on British soil

Caen; Anvil of Victory by Alexander McKee - very detailed and harrowing account of British and Commonwealth involvement in the Caen campaign from D-Day to Falaise

Cambrai 1917 by Bryn Hammond - account of the first large-scale use of tanks

Battle Cry of |Freedom by James B. McPherson - world-standard account of the American Civil War

I picked up Dresden by Frederick Taylor today, only two chapters in but it is promising to be brilliant. UK members, it's 3 quid in Tesco at the moment, well worth picking up

Good list BT.
Here's a few of my own. These are all on the French-Indochina War.

Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall. Overall account of the French in Indochina.

Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall. Discusses the battle of Dien Bien Phu.

The Last Valley by Martin Windrow. Modern history of the war, Dien Bien Phu, and what happened after.

Good list BT.
Here's a few of my own. These are all on the French-Indochina War.

Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall. Overall account of the French in Indochina.

Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall. Discusses the battle of Dien Bien Phu.

The Last Valley by Martin Windrow. Modern history of the war, Dien Bien Phu, and what happened after.

I read "The Last Valley" and was amazed...both by the heroism and stupidity. Excellent choice!

I read "The Last Valley" and was amazed...both by the heroism and stupidity. Excellent choice!

Yeah Capt. Vick. I loved that book. That's one thing that got me about reading this and Fall's books. While the French soldiers on the ground were superb (especially all the paratroop battalions), the general high command were fighting a war that failed to adapt to. Like the whole set-piece battle idea that ended up backfiring on them. That had good generrals like de Tassingy, but for the most part they just failed to adapt, period.
It kind of reminds me of our own experience in Vietnam with Westmoreland, though I do believe we did a better job in fighting the Communists then the French did. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another good book is "A Savage War of Peace" by Alistair Horne. It goes into a lot of detail about the French War in Algeria, which was actually far worse for France than Indochina.

Does anyone know if these are any good?

51bvBo5OUCL__SS500_.jpg

9781902109084.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back