Recommended books for the library?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't have either of those two, but I have the one about testbed aircraft and it was jam packed with info, almost too much! the other non-Russian/Soviet books in the series are very good. I have like 5 or 6 of those.

"Stopped at Stalingrad-the Luftwaffe and Hiltler's defeat in the east 1942-1943" by Joel Hayward.

Read this one book and save reading several others. I know,I read the others before this one :)

Steve

To comment on the Fw190: A Famous German Fighter (Nowarra) and Warplanes of the Third Reich (Green) - As a general rule, technical books such as these and written in the 60s and 70s lacked a lot of information that only come to light later, especially after 1990. They were good for their time but we now know the info was not as accurate as we hoped as they relied heavily on sources available in the west.

Yeah Capt. Vick. I loved that book. That's one thing that got me about reading this and Fall's books. While the French soldiers on the ground were superb (especially all the paratroop battalions), the general high command were fighting a war that failed to adapt to. Like the whole set-piece battle idea that ended up backfiring on them. That had good generrals like de Tassingy, but for the most part they just failed to adapt, period.
It kind of reminds me of our own experience in Vietnam with Westmoreland, though I do believe we did a better job in fighting the Communists then the French did. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another good book is "A Savage War of Peace" by Alistair Horne. It goes into a lot of detail about the French War in Algeria, which was actually far worse for France than Indochina.

Thanks for the suggestion. Got "A Savage War of Peace" for Christmas!

"Two Years in a Gulag: The True Wartime Story of a Polish Peasant Exiled to Siberia"

At the onset of the Second World War, Frank Pleszak's father MikoAaj, aged nineteen, was forcibly removed from his family in Poland by the Russian secret police and exiled to the harshest of the Siberian labour camps, the dreaded Soviet gulags of Kolyma. MikoAaj spoke very little about it. Only very occasionally would his painful memories allow him to tell Frank and his siblings a little snippet of information. After his father's death, Frank became intrigued and began researching MikoAaj's early life. As he discovered more and more, he became amazed and shocked at the ordeals his father had endured. When Germany invaded Russia, MikoAaj was freed from Kolyma but still had many trials yet to face. MikoAaj survived gulags, torture, and the war, but was never allowed to return home. Frank has followed his father's footsteps on a journey of 40,000 kilometres, through places most of us have never heard of, a journey through despair, fear, hope and disappointment, and in these pages he recounts everything he discovered along the way. This true story occurred during a largely unknown and poorly documented period of modern history that has been denied by successive Russian Governments and largely ignored by western governments and media. Two Years in a Gulag provides a valuable insight into not only MikoAaj's story but the story of a whole Polish nation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/144560177X/?tag=dcglabs-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A good one I just read was A Higher Call by Adam Makos about Franz Stigler, who served with Galland in JV 44.

two books...both by Joey Maddox. he and his father started the 357th FG museum in Ida, LA where one of the 357th pilots came from....Fletcher Adams. his first book is about him called Bleeding Sky. his second book is a compliation of stories and pictures from 357th pilots and ground crew called The Great Rat Race. both are available on amazon in hard print or a $3.00 download. well worth it. 3/4 of the way through the rat race...have yet to read Bleeding Sky.

Last edited:
Thought that I'd read up on the Westland Whirlwind heavy fighter, lovely aircraft btw, wonder what they could have done with two Merlins...
Anyhoo, which book to buy...!?

Westland's Enigmatic Fighter by Niall Corduroy, 288 pages or.....
Westland Whirlwind Fighter by Victor F. Bingham and 160 pages....

Have to admit that I kinda lean towards the one by Niall Corduroy...

Suggestions??

Now, which one to wish for Xmas or Birthday? :lol:

Forgotten Sacrifice: The Arctic Convoys of World War II by Michael G. Walling...

...or:

Arctic Convoys 1941-1945 by Richard Woodman....

....or are there others out there, about the convoys?

Looking for a good book in English on French Aircraft of WWII. I have seen the squadron signal books but looking for more.

Thanks Paul

Paul,

The best I have yet found have been the 2 book series published by Histoire Collections by Breffort and Jouineau, each being 81 pages long. There are a lot of photos and color profiles and has brief blurbs on several one off designs.

French 1.jpg

French 2.jpg

If there is a specific aircraft you would like to review before buying let me know and I can scan and email.

David

Paul,

The best I have yet found have been the 2 book series published by Histoire Collections by Breffort and Jouineau, each being 81 pages long. There are a lot of photos and color profiles and has brief blurbs on several one off designs.

View attachment 253769
View attachment 253770

If there is a specific aircraft you would like to review before buying let me know and I can scan and email.

David

Thanks David,

I am not looking for anything specific. Just want a general asset to add to my library for reference

Thanks again for the feed back.

All the best
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back