Reno Air Races... leaving Reno

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"It is with heavy hearts that we write this to let you know that, after nearly 60 years of air racing in northern Nevada, 2023 will be the last National Championship Air Races at the Reno-Stead Airport." release from Stihl National Championship Air Races at: National Championship Air Races | Reno Air Races
-The 2023 races are scheduled for September 13-17
-Where they are moving to is evidently undecided at present. Reno has been the event's home for the last 59 years.
:pilotsalute: This is sad. I heard that it is to be the last race when I talked to a fellow at Cloyes in Reno. I was ordering a timing chain for my engine and when he said that he was in Reno, I asked him if he ever attended the air races and he let me know that it was the last race. Too bad, it was an historic event.

Gary, this is golden, thank you very much. Hat already packed, as is my drink bottle. Thanks for the info about the media spot. I work for a media organisation and have submitted a request from my editor so I shouldn't have any difficulty unless they are so packed with accreditation requests that I can't be accommodated. I'm waiting to hear before I buy tickets.

Being by the pylon for a day sounds the business. I don't want to do that every day, but one day will be worth it. Copy that regarding food. Useful to know if I'm out there all day.

As for accommodation, I'm doing a fly/stay package, meaning accommodation is part of the package. The hotel is right in town, walking distance from the strip where the hotels are where I can catch the bus. On the subject of those, They'll have a timetable, huh, I'm intending on staying maybe one evening a bit later so I'm relying on the bus service to get me back to Reno. If not I'll hitch.

At this stage I'm planning on going Friday, Saturday Sunday only. I could make Thursday too. Is that okay for seeing everything, or would you recommend going every day?
I did Reno for 30+ years, and quit a decade ago. I consider it the best air event I've ever attended. Working from the pylons is an experience unique in aviation. Very difficult shooting, but the sounds are amazing...

Attachments

• R94  Bronze lap 1   .jpg
    R94 Bronze lap 1 .jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 20
Gary is right, Grant: that region gets hot during the day, but because of single digit humidity, if feels cooler than it actually is and gets many people in trouble fast. Stay hydrated!

It's a shame Joe has gone ahead of us, he would have most certainly been at this last race. :(
-UNFAIR!!
-Our humidity was up to 13% last week!

Glanced over this, but... a few pics would be nice. Gary Cain Gary Cain
I think the admins will take it to its merit. No price tags i think, just a collection

Wurger Wurger would you be so kind to advice in this,

My request is in the grey area i think. Dont want Gary into trouble for my sake.

Glanced over this, but... a few pics would be nice. Gary Cain Gary Cain
I think the admins will take it to its merit. No price tags i think, just a collection

Wurger Wurger would you be so kind to advice in this,

My request is in the grey area i think. Dont want Gary into trouble for my sake.
What pictures are you talking about
@Snautzer?

What pictures are you talking about
@Snautzer?
Well the stuff your are selling. I realley wonder what trades are made there. What prizes are normal, what items can be bought.

I know this is against site policy to get this on this website but i thinks it very very clear you are an honest parts hoarder so that why i asked wurger.
Ohh and any thing else offcourse you want to share that not for sale will do nicely

Well the stuff your are selling. I realley wonder what trades are made there. What prizes are normal, what items can be bought.

I know this is against site policy to get this on this website but i thinks it very very clear you are an honest parts hoarder so that why i asked wurger.
Ohh and any thing else offcourse you want to share that not for sale will do nicely
These are some pictures from the booth from over a decade ago, so nothing in these pics are for sale![-X

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 256.JPG
    256.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 14
So, it's getting close to raising the curtain at Reno. I fly out in a couple of week's time and have media accreditation approved and everything else in hand, but for transport, which I'm relying on the bus service between the hotel complex and Stead. The only problem is that as media we have to be at the daily briefings, which are between 6 and 7 am. I might have to rely on a taxi to get there so early as I'm not renting a car. So, a question for you Reno regulars. How long does it take to get to Stead from downtown Reno given the possibility of queues of traffic and so forth? Are there any other ways of getting to Stead early other than taxi or bus, which I'm not sure even run that early?

Cheers.

So, it's getting close to raising the curtain at Reno. I fly out in a couple of week's time and have media accreditation approved and everything else in hand, but for transport, which I'm relying on the bus service between the hotel complex and Stead. The only problem is that as media we have to be at the daily briefings, which are between 6 and 7 am. I might have to rely on a taxi to get there so early as I'm not renting a car. So, a question for you Reno regulars. How long does it take to get to Stead from downtown Reno given the possibility of queues of traffic and so forth? Are there any other ways of getting to Stead early other than taxi or bus, which I'm not sure even run that early?

Cheers.
Taxis run 24/7 and there should be lyft and Uber as well. The buses don't start till later than you need.

I suggest you do a pre schedule with lyft, that seems to work the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back