Researcher looking for info on July 26, 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

909CrewFE

Recruit
Aug 28, 2007
Hello everyone. I am researching the crash of B-17F "Nitemare" on July 26, 1943. Nitemare belonged to the 91st Bomb Group, 324th Squadron. Nitemare was lost on a mission to Hamburg and was initially hit by flak causing it to spin out of control from 26,000 feet to 5,000 feet before control was regained. All but the radio operator bailed out. The ball turret gunner was killed when his chute did not open, and two were killed by the German Army while trying to escape.

I am looking for a way to determine which Luftwaffe pilot was credited with the kill, and any information about the crash, or crewmembers who are still living or their relatives. The following information describes the crew:

Of those that survived when she was shot down, I know that the
following are dead: Rendall (died early 80s), Brack (died mid 90s),
Johnson (not sure when; was told by someone he was dead), and Murray
(he died Oct 30 2001). I had interviewed Brunty, Murray, and Ramsey.
The phone number I had for Brunty is no longer a "valid" number. Too
late to try the one I had for Ramsey (PA number). Neither name turns
up a phone number when run through the locator, however. Too many
with those names in the Social Security Death index to try to check on death.

Brunty told me that Monohan (radio operator) was shot and killed in the air and that Oyler was trapped in the ball turret and could not get out.

Any help with information about the families of the crew, German Luftwaffe claims on this date, and such is appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I do have a question, tho. If the B-17 was shot
down by flak, why would a LW pilot get credit for it ?

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back