Revell 1/72nd SR-71 w/D-21 Drone

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, guys.

I fully expect that the highlights will tone down once the flat clear is applied at the end. The blue tint was actually gloss acryl paint and it kinda shines a little in the light. But I expected that. I'm really looking forward to putting the decals on.

Alas, tonight is perhaps a coat of Future before I contemplate some very minor pastel application.

Oh, here is the decals. Quite a bit of work actually. Most of them are caution outlines for the highly sensitive RF and optical sensors located on the lower fuselage chines, DO NOT WALK lines for the upper fuselage, pilot/RSO emergency access and the rest rounded out with individual aircraft markings.

The kit includes both a CIA bird and a USAF bird. I'm doing the USAF SR-71A based in Kadena AFB, Japan.

Attachments

• DSCF1714.JPG
    DSCF1714.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 69
Looking very good.But I have noticed the decal film looks thick.Matt be careful, please, silvering is possible.

Looking very good.But I have noticed the decal film looks thick.Matt be careful, please, silvering is possible.

Thanks Wurger. I was going to put a thick coat of Future on prior to decaling. I also intend to use decal solvent and Microset. I think that is about all I can do, right? :dontknow:

I'm more worried about the square sensor decals that have lots of clear space in the middle. I may fold them in half and cut the middle out of them and pray they don't disentegrate when I soak and set them. The longer DO NOT STEP red lines I intend to cut into thirds for easier placement.

I don't think folding of these is a good solution.Rather use a sharp scalpel razor for cutting out the middle.Generally you can cut off all the decal elements leaving as less of the transparent film as possible.

Wow! That finish is starting to look very realistic Matt. It's going to be an impressive model when finished. I agree with Wojtek on the decals, but, if you follow his advice, and use plenty of Microsol, they should pull down ok, without silvering. I recently used some similarly thick, 25 plus year old decals on a NMF P47, and they worked fine.
BTW, check your e-mails, there's some more pics for you.

If you get any silvering , you can use a fine pin or tip of a blade to allow some setting solution into those hard to get at places...but be careful if you need to do it.

I good coat of your gloss will keep the problem to a minimum, hopefully.

Good luck Matt!

Began the decaling process. First the NO STEP lines. Then the insignia. Working with the deep corrugated wing panels was a b!tch.

And then... the first real "Oh $hit" moment [see last pic]. :evil: I'm off to soccer, but I'll explain my course of "remedy" later today and post some pics of how it turned out.

Attachments

• DSCF1739.JPG
    DSCF1739.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1741.JPG
    DSCF1741.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1745.JPG
    DSCF1745.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1746.JPG
    DSCF1746.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1747.JPG
    DSCF1747.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 67
Oh anyone notice the bloody napkin? My brilliant demonstration of how to properly remove sprue remains for my youngest boy went tragically wrong. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back