Romance on the Runway.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
In the new film "Transit," Soviet and American pilots have some close encounters at a remote Chukotka airbase during World War II.
Alexander Rogozhkin latest film "Transit", better rendered in its Russian original, "Peregon" -- refers to the World War II Lend-Lease project that sent airplanes from the United States to the Soviet Union, via Alaska and the Pacific, for onward dispatch to the front with Nazi Germany. With action starting in 1943, the film is set in the distant region of Chukotka, on a small airport that is being pushed to its limits as it regularly takes on new planes and moves them westward.
There's plenty of comedy and eventually drama in the hesitant interactions between a distinctly young group of Soviet junior officer pilots (cast from various regional acting schools, and certainly matching images of the period) and the incoming American fliers -- all of whom are equally young, but female. The casting of the latter, and their general appearance, also looks well-researched and convincing, which makes it remarkable that most of the female players were apparently drawn from a St. Petersburg bar that's a gathering place for that city's expatriates. Yet their looks, costumes and a certain naivete that's characteristic of the period certainly come across well. Tentative interaction between the two groups happens on a fairly impromptu basis, to the background of jazz and foxtrot, and across a clearly felt language barrier.

Attachments

• context_2.jpg
    context_2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 216
  • star_2.jpg
    star_2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 214
Useless Factoid of the Day: While set in 1943, the dashing young Russian in the pic wears the earlier style Soviet uniform, discontinued in January of that year. ;)

I know, I know. :rolleyes:
"NS, who the f*ck cares? Shut the f*ck up, will ya?"

God, you folks can be nasty. :(

pics from movie...

Attachments

• kinopoisk1.jpg
    kinopoisk1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 285
  • kinopoisk2.jpg
    kinopoisk2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 361
  • kinopoisk4.jpg
    kinopoisk4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 230
seems odd, they should remove anything looking as a resemblance of US camo and markings, as the P-39 was used by the Soviets why not get into some sort of life-like condition for the movie. It appears no-one is thinking here ........

E

I don't think to many females flew on the Northwest Staging route that is an unforgiving area miles upon miles of nothing in fact the airport at Snag recorded the coldest temperatures ever for North America at -81f/-63c I've heard one mountain was called the aluminium mountain because at certain times the metal of crashed aircraft would reflect the light but in 1943 400 aircraft a month transited the route mainly P39's

The camo and marking are right in the picture in the first post, the russians often kept them plain green and painted a red star over the white US star on the blue background at first or else painting a white circle over the US marking and adding a red star on top. The other pictures with the newer style US symbol doesn't seem right to me, I've never seen any Russian P-39s looking like that.

p-39%20sc00.jpg

p39.jpg

P%2039%20MARKINGS.jpg

wentzelp39002.jpg

orig.gif

PROFILE%2007.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back