RS Models Dornier DO 17P parts id question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

petersig

Airman
Nov 11, 2009
I am in the early stages of a RS models 1/72 Dornier DO 17P "Condor legion" build. So far it is going pretty well, but the instructions are a bit of a challenge. For example, the illustraions are a bit sloppy. Some parts are illustrated inverted, or backwards. Some parts or missing all together(i.e. PE p/n 19) from the illustrations. There are other p/ns that are not "X" out on the instructions but are also not on the instructions. For the most part I am able to figure it out. But.... I'm wondering if anyone knows where p/n 12 (plastic) goes? Also, there are some parts on the Eduard PE fret that may or may not be used on this kit. The parts in question are 14, 15, 16.

I'm afraid I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what these are and where they go.

Here is a link to a review of the same basic kit......Same PE fret:

Dornier Do 17 P "Ost Front" Review by Brett Green (RS Models 1/72)

Parts 14, 15 and 16 are parts for the seat belts.

Parts 16 are waist pads for the belt connectors and need to be glued UNDER the ends of parts 17 and 18 at the top of the parts as shown in the image on Brett Greens review. The fat end of those parts should be pointed AWAY from the belt and should extend slightly beyond the upper end of the waist belts. Note that the identical Triangular shaped ends on the bottom of both of those parts in the image are the mounting points for attaching the belts to the side of the seats or the frame.

Parts 14 are the harness belt extensions - they need to be glued onto the top of parts 17 and 18. They should be glue pointing to the bottom of the image with one end butted up against the ridge in the middle of those parts with the other end extending out in an arc curving slightly away from the belt. They can be left off if necessary.

Parts 15 are the waist belt latching clasps and need to be glued onto either parts 17 or 18 at the top curving slightly away from the end. The end of parts 15 should extend slightly beyond the ends of the pieces they are being glued to. Sorry I can't be more specific about which one they get glued to - I THINK it's parts 18 but I am not 100% sure.

Go to the Eduard site and look at a color PE set for almost any German plane. The assembly instructions for adding those parts should be identical to the parts you have.

You also have some spares - 2 extra part 14's and 1 extra part 15.

Good man Dwight! :thumbsright:

I've got colour photos of the seat harness assembly that might help in connection with that info. Drop us your address in a PM if you're interested.

The Eduard instrucion sheets are a huge help. Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction. I wish I had known about them before I started messing around with the harnesses. Hopefully I can rework them without breaking them.

Thanks again,

P

The Eduard instrucion sheets are a huge help. Thanks much for pointing me in the right direction. I wish I had known about them before I started messing around with the harnesses. Hopefully I can rework them without breaking them.

Thanks again,

P

No problem. Glad to help. :)

You probably used Super Glue to fasten the pieces, so you could use some De-Solv on the glue joints to separate the pieces if necessary.

Be VERY careful as De-Solv will ALSO remove paint that's applied by airbursh or by hand. I'm not sure what it will do to pre-painted PE however.

Eduard also makes a separate Color PE sheet of JUST Luftwaffe harnesses. In fact, they make separate PE sheets for Italian, American, and RAF seat harnesses. They should run somewhere between 12-14$ iiirc. As a last result you can always buy that set and redo the belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back