Rugby World Cup

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good display from England today, nice to see the discipline's better. I also rather liked the blue/yellow/red kit!

Better from England today, they should top the group from here.

New Zealand looking ominous against the French who were flat after their dominant spell at the start of the game. Should win the world cup but I can still see them tripping up somewhere along the line. Although if they do, they full deserve it as so far the have been the best team on display by far.

Well now, down to semi-finals next weekend. Even as a New Zealander I cannot say that the ABs (All Blacks) are guaranteed to win - Wales put on a really good performance against Ireland on Saturday night and France...unpredictable as per usual, knocked out a pedestrian England. Australia should have been thrashed by South Africa in their quarter final last night (NZ time): Sth Af had over 75% of the territory but never broke the Aussie defence - the ABs only really broke through against Argentina in the last 20 minutes and did not look convincing for a lot of the match. Australia's biggest problem is that they have taken a battering against Sth Africa and only have a week to recover before facing the ABs while Wales and France - particularly Wales - don't seem to have too many injury problems. Hmmm...ABs and Wales for final.

Semis in a word or two
England...Woeful
Australia...Lucky
Wales...Excellent
NZ.....Disappointing.

Australia must be favourites now,good for me as I put a few bob on them months ago! New Zealand have got big problems with their half backs, Slade didn't look up to the job,it's probably just as well that he's injured!
I've been very impressed by Wales,and I say that as an Englishman.
France,who knows which team will turn up!
I'm betting on a Wales v Australia final.
Cheers
Steve

Anyone but Austrialia for me.

South Africa were poor, ref didn't help but still no excuses. Coach is still sh*t though...

New Zealand still not operating at 100% Guy who replaced Slade seemed more effective, should start against the wallabies.

England terrible, French well no one knows, Wales look good and would be a good bet for the final. You'd expect New Zealand for the other, can't have the Wallabies winning a third one...

Anyone but Austrialia for me......can't have the Wallabies winning a third one...

New Zealand will have to up their game to beat Australia. I've been saying since Carter was crocked that they've got a serious problem at 10.I think that their 'win every game' ethic prevents them from filtering in their back up players and giving them test experience.
I'm not suggesting that they can't beat Australia but they'd have to do better than they did against Argentina. They made heavy weather of that game and the score doesn't reflect just how badly they struggled.
This sounds incredible coming from an Englishman but I reckon Wales could just surprise everyone and win this thing. I wouldn't bet my house on them!!!
Cheers
Steve

Agreed Steve. Slade at 10 is the real worry for New Zealand however he got injured so it unlikely to start against the Wallabies. Cruden who came on, I thought played really well against Argentina. Looked vibrant, passed well and had some great half breaks. He played better than Slade has in the World Cup in my opinion. Will certainly be an interesting game, I hope New Zealand don't start with Sonny Bill on the wing though, if his to start I'd like to see him in the centres. Him and Ma Nonu running at Quade Cooper (I despise him and have ever since I first saw him play for the Reds back in 2008) would be nice to see.

South Africa played the correct game plan against the Wallabies and it should have paid off, if it had they would of been a good bet for the tournament. New Zealand should have the upper hand in the tight five and they have to use against the Wallabies. Back three are probably about equal and with Carter out Wallabies half backs are probably better, the rest of the backs though would say the All Blacks are better. Guess it all comes down to whether the All Blacks are going to choke again or not.

Wales looking good for the win as well, can't see the French winning that semi. They have a habit of winning well in the quarters and losing miserably in the semi's. Final should be interesting, whoever wins the Southern Hemisphere semi will be favourites. Still don't want to see those Wallabies winning it a third time...

Welsh were hard done by today. I can see why Alain Rolland thought it could be a red card but I didn't think it was, yellow at most. A poor decision to be sure but the Welsh should still have won, they missed to many kicks today and had a poor gameplan at the end when try to set up a drop goal. The French are going to be obliterated by whoever they meet in the final if they play like they did against Wales, they were poor and certainly choked a bit in the second half.

Really hoping for a New Zealand win tomorrow, can't have Australia winning it 3 times, especially after being lucky in getting past South Africa. New Zealand to edge it and then thrash France in the final.

I agree,very tough call on Warburton. Yellow card and a penalty,never a red. It was a dangerous tackle but he did not drive him into the ground with intent.
The Welsh team and officials have shown commendable restraint in the aftermath. Dignity in defeat will always earn respect, Wales was one of the best teams in the tournament.....and that's from an Englishman.
New Zealand have got past Australia (my pre tournament favourites) with some style in what must have been in effect the final.
France have done what England usually do,played poorly and got through. I hope that the Kiwis turn them over,I expect they will.
Cheers
Steve

Yeah the Kiwi's played really well this morning. Aussie's just didn't seem as up for it as the Kiwi's were, McCaw was awesome. Wonder if the Aussie's were still feeling the effects of the South Africa game the week before. Should certainly not be an issue for New Zealand to win it from here, the French have been down right awful at points of the tournament and I think the All Blacks will be really up for it like they were for the semi.

As for the third place playoff, I think the Welsh could edge it, Aussie's will be tired after another hard game (2 in 2 weeks) and the Welsh will feel they have a point to prove. Read today that Warburton has been banned for 3 weeks (BBC Sport - Rugby World Cup 2011: Sam Warburton banned for three weeks), certainly a loss for Wales but still think they will have more desire than the Aussie's for the match and will edge it.

Sadly Warburton's ban is largely political. The IRB must be seen to be backing its officials (unlike some other sports) which is not a bad thing. I still think Rolland,who is a fine referee,made a mistake with this one.
Cheers
Steve

Agreed. I thought Rolland had a poor game yesterday. Today though I thought Joubert had a really good game, him and the other South African refs are all quite good (Kaplan and Jonkers are the other 2).

Not sure who is reffing the final but I don't think it will be Rolland (he did the last one), will likely be one of the South African ones or perhaps Wayne Barnes/another Home Nations ref.

I'd vote for Joubert,he was,as you say,superb today. Not a fan of Kaplan's refereeing of the set scrum.
The New Zealanders have a bit of history with poor old Wayne,and the infamous forward pass that wasn't came when they were playing.....France. If they go for a northern hemisphere ref then maybe Nigel Owen would get the call now that Wales are out.
Cheers
Steve

Wales need to kick more of their kicks. Cost them again against Australia. Australian defense was very good again. Nice to see Shane Williams score a try in his last game even if it was a forward pass.

Quade Cooper is out for at least 6 months with cruciate ligament damage.

Can't see New Zealand losing the final but should be a good game if they play as everyone knows they can.

Wales weren't firing on all cylinders today. Shame for Cooper,never nice to see something like that. Apparently Williams will play his final game in December at the Millenium stadium against,you guessed,Australia.
Cheers
Steve

Shame about Wales losing to Australia; nevertheless, its interesting to note that, although they came fourth, Wales will return home as (much deserved) heroes, whereas the Aussies will go home with their heads hanging low - the Aussie press will be baying for the Wallabies' and Kiwi coach Robbie Deans' blood!

Big match, the final; already the Kiwi press are discussing victories (ridiculous! Even the Auckland council are planning which day the victory parade down Queen Street will Be! Morons! The lot of them!:evil::evil:), but articles have appeared about not underestimating the French. This is so true and Graeme Henry will be drilling this home to his team with a jack hammer.

Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back