Russians didn't need Allied help for victory (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Perhaps China can pull a "Crimea" and annex a few Soviet areas.

I was shocked at the population of Russia, it's only 15 million more than Japan.

Last edited:
"...I was shocked at the population of Russia ..."

And it is declining in Caucasian/Christian areas dramatically. Life expectancy for Russian males is frighteningly low ....

I was in Russia 7 yrs ago, the population was/is declining due to Aids Alcoholism and emigration (not statistically in that order) the few I spoke to were anxious about China...could they make even enough bullets?

I know this is anecdotal, but here in the NYC area, Russian immigration seems to be steadily increasing. Lotsa Russian speaking folks moving in.

I know this is anecdotal, but here in the NYC area, Russian immigration seems to be steadily increasing. Lotsa Russian speaking folks moving in.

Again anecdotal, Klitchko the Ukrainian boxer went into politics because he saw the difference between how Poland and Ukraine had progressed since the wall came down

Again anecdotal, Klitchko the Ukrainian boxer went into politics because he saw the difference between how Poland and Ukraine had progressed since the wall came down

I was in Russia 7 yrs ago, the population was/is declining due to Aids Alcoholism and emigration (not statistically in that order) the few I spoke to were anxious about China...could they make even enough bullets?

I was there in 1984, and again 10 years ago, and this sort of observation is way overblown. There are some punks that hang around the Moscow underground and a few other issues that look bad but arent.

Russia has its societal issues, the worst is rampant alcoholism. Drugs arent as big a problem as they are in the US. Get in the regional interior and there is a lot of strength in their society. its as strong as the corn belt states of the US. Russian people have a lot of depth and strength. They are well educated and resourceful. they are nothing like the peasant forces of the 1940's. They are dangerous, im not painting them as saints, but to portray Russia as being on the edge of social or economic collapse is just not true or accurate. if China attacked them, the Soviets would still give the Chinese a bloody nose, but that might be different in 50 years or so. China hasnt yet learnt to translate its massively expanding economic strength to effective military strength, though thats changing

I was there in 1984, and again 10 years ago, and this sort of observation is way overblown. There are some punks that hang around the Moscow underground and a few other issues that look bad but arent.

Russia has its societal issues, the worst is rampant alcoholism. Drugs arent as big a problem as they are in the US. Get in the regional interior and there is a lot of strength in their society. its as strong as the corn belt states of the US. Russian people have a lot of depth and strength. They are well educated and resourceful. they are nothing like the peasant forces of the 1940's. They are dangerous, im not painting them as saints, but to portray Russia as being on the edge of social or economic collapse is just not true or accurate. if China attacked them, the Soviets would still give the Chinese a bloody nose, but that might be different in 50 years or so. China hasnt yet learnt to translate its massively expanding economic strength to effective military strength, though thats changing

When I was in Russia I read the problem with alcohol had 2 sides to it. One they simply drink too much Vodka and they drink it pure. Two there were some changes to tax on Vodka (cant remember the details) but this lead to Vodka being laced with methanol to increase its strength hospitals were full of patients with related disorders.

Chinas industrial capacity is huge in 10/20 yrs time Russia wont be in the same game.

Nothing will happen to stop Vlad the Invader carrying on as he Damn well pleases. Germany is effectively blocking any sanctions because without Russian gas then Germany goes dark quite quickly. I bet Frau Merkel wishes all the Nuclear plants and coal mines hadnt been shut.

As for NATO forget it if you take away the US forces it would struggle to raise much more than a couple of divisions so Putin knows the Euro arm of NATO is about as much use as the Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard.

This is an older "news" item posted at FB, but shows the same old bullsh!t oozing out of the land of misinformation.

And, it comes as no surprise that it's RT (Russia Times) that's promoting this sort of crap...99.9% of their "news" is U.S. bashing crap anyway...

Soviet Union could have won WWII alone - historian - RT News
"Soviet Union could have won WWII alone"

The Soviet Union alone indeed could have won World War II, but would have done it at a much slower pace, believes British historian Professor Geoffrey Roberts.

"The Soviet Union could have defeated Nazi Germany on its own, but it would have taken it a lot longer and at much greater price and, of course, it would have taken the country much longer to recover after World War II," he told RT.

"Yes, the Soviet Union did not ultimately need its allies to win the war, but its alliance with particularly the United States and Great Britain helped it to win the war a lot quicker than it would have otherwise been the case," he added.

According to Roberts, following World War II, the Soviet Union was much less enthusiastic about the Cold War than its recent allies, the USA and Great Britain.

"On the Western side, once the Cold War had broken out, there was a much more positive engagement with the Cold War, whereas on the Soviet side there was a reluctance to become involved in the Cold War and continuous efforts to revive the Grand Alliance," he said.

"One of the great themes of post-war Soviet foreign policy is a desire to return to the Grand Alliance," Roberts added.

Perhaps they could have in Europe. They did have a lot of men and materials out of reach of the Germans further east. But what about the Pacific? I have to laugh at some of the quotes in that article though.
"Desire to return to the grand alliance". ROFL Having served during the Cold War, that was a laughable thing to read.

Yeah, I think this "professor" Roberts is pretty much pulling words out his rear-end, or perhaps it's a combination of his words and RT putting a spin on it.

But the reality is, Russia would have been seriously up sh!t creek without a paddle if Germany wasn't distracted by fighting the Allies to the west AND if there weren't any lend-lease equipment from the U.S. Britain, including no supplies (food, fuel, arms, material, etc.) from the U.S. to support the Red Army's war effort.

And that "desire to return to the grand alliance" remark is probably the biggest laughable thing I have read in a good long time.

I suppose when you're rewriting history, anything's possible...

There's no point in comparing Russia and China in economic terms. It's almost exactly the same as comparing Italy and China.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back