SBD-5 Main Instrument Panel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

salutewwii

Airman
Jan 1, 2016
Decatur, AL
Everyone,

Trying to locate an SBD-5 main instrument panel for sale. Want the real deal, no reproductions. Trying to help a friend who is restoring the full aircraft for flight. Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a lead.

:)
Everyone,

Trying to locate an SBD-5 main instrument panel for sale. Want the real deal, no reproductions. Trying to help a friend who is restoring the full aircraft for flight. Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a lead.
Unfortunately don't know where to get the instrument panel but just wanted to say I'm heartened to know someone is undertaking that particular project. I hope you get your panel and hope you your friend is successful in the restoration.
P.s. If I do however happen to stumble across one of those instrument panels like at a garage sale for instance I'll be sure to snap it up.:)

:)
Unfortunately don't know where to get the instrument panel but just wanted to say I'm heartened to know someone is undertaking that particular project. I hope you get your panel and hope you your friend is successful in the restoration.
P.s. If I do however happen to stumble across one of those instrument panels like at a garage sale for instance I'll be sure to snap it up.:)
HA! Thank you Michael! One could only pray for such luck! I appreciate the help. Spread the word, that's how it usually get's done!!

HA! Thank you Michael! One could only pray for such luck! I appreciate the help. Spread the word, that's how it usually get's done!!
In all seriousness id be delighted to be of any help if i can. The SBD is my favorite plane. My grandfather used to build them at Douglas. The only thing I can think of to be of help is I visit a couple air museums around here from time to time so next time I do I'll be sure to ask around.

Much appreciated. I'm ex-Navy and have a special place in my heart for anything Navy related. On an ironic note...I just acquired a TBF/M-1 panel mostly complete with instruments (shipping to me as we speak, I hope the hurricane doesn't claim it as it's coming down the east coast!).
Too bad it wasn't an SBD-5.
I really don't have anything to do with this project just trying to help source parts when I can. Thanks again.

The best place I can think of to look for one of these would be Lake Michigan.
48 SBD Dauntless (33)-960.jpg

In the early 70s my father and I, with some like-minded friends, restored an A-24B to SBD-5 status with some help from Douglas Aircraft. Our plane's front cockpit was intact with original instruments. They worked properly in flight. We looked far afield for other parts sources but the closest we came was some wingless wind machines that had been used for MGM movies in the 50s and 60s. None provided anything useful. The best source was a WW II crash site with the rear cockpit somewhat intact, providing the otherwise unobtainable gunner's seat mount. the seat itself was crunched but provided a pattern.

That airplane eventually went to the USMC Museum at Quantico and c. 2005 was traded to the USAF Museum in Ohio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back