SBD Dauntless? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pcasciola

Recruit
Jan 15, 2005
I found this forum while searching for information on this aircraft, which I just photographed while it was doing some maneuvers high in the air over my house. The weird part about the story is that if this plane is in fact an SBD Dauntless, that would be the same model of plane that my deceased father flew in WW II. I can count on one hand, actually on one finger, how many times a WW II aircraft has flown around my house, so this is a little freaky.

Can anyone confirm this is in fact an SBD Dauntless, and is there any way I can find out the owner of this plane, large registries, etc. I'd be really interested in talking to them. It's hard to see in the pics because it was really high up and I only had a 300mm lens, but it's #64, and says Gauntanamo Bay B-4 Navy across the bottom of the wings.

Thanks in advance.

sbd1.jpg

sbd2.jpg

sbd3.jpg

sbd4.jpg
[/img]

It looks to me like a T-6 Texan trainer. I don't know how you can go about finding the owner, but evangilder probably does.
He should be around before long, or you could try sending him a PM (private message).

Nonskimmer,

I think you are right. The cockpit definitely looks more like some of the T-6 Texan Trainer pics I just found online, along with the steeper transition from the fuselage to the tail/rudder.

I guess I don't need to find the guy if it's not an SBD Dauntless. If it was that might have made me lose some sleep. :)

Thanks for the quick reply. You guys definitely know your aircraft.

If you want to get very technical, it is actually an SNJ, because it has Navy markings. The AAC called them the AT-6. They are both Texans though. Aside from the markings, the only difference between an SNJ and an AT-6 is that the SNJ has zinc primer on the inside metal (Due to salt air) and a locking tailwheel. I was watching 4 of them today at the airport, one I helped pre-flight. I got some shots today that I need to download from my camera and will post shortly.

The marking underneath may actually be a 64 instead of a B4. Where do you live? (area). I can most likely find out who it belongs to. But keep in mind that of the 20,000 plus of those made, roughly 1,000 of those are still flying today!

I can also find out if there are any SBDs near you to go and see. I can use the aircraft locator service, if you are in the US, which I am assuming.

Not all of us know our aircraft, in fact a few do and even less are as helpful as evan.

I have actually heard of them. The Texan has a boatload of other names too. If I remember correctly, the Wirraway was based on the Harvard. They are great airplanes, durable as heck too! One of ours, 290, has been through 5 fairly serious crashes, and she still flies! I got on the priority list today for my ride. YEAH!

Thanks for the compliment Plan_D, but I wouldn't say I am the most knowledgeable. There are some that I know alot about, most I know a fair amount. But the knowledge I have is mostly American. I learned about the Zero, Spitfire and Hurricane because we have (had in the case of the Hurricane) those in our museum. I have to know the airplanes to talk about them to our visitors.

No problem. Armour is my speciality, aircraft knowledge is bits here and there. I manage to old together well, for normal people. :lol:

evangilder said:
The marking underneath may actually be a 64 instead of a B4. Where do you live? (area). I can most likely find out who it belongs to. But keep in mind that of the 20,000 plus of those made, roughly 1,000 of those are still flying today!

I can also find out if there are any SBDs near you to go and see. I can use the aircraft locator service, if you are in the US, which I am assuming.

Thanks for the info.

I think you're right about it being a 64 under the wing, matching the number of the side of the fuselage. I also noticed after zooming in beyond 100% that the tail appears to be yellow and red, with a large G on the yellow front half and the back half is hard to tell but might be a B (I guess for Guantanamo Bay).

I'm in central New Jersey, and the closest private airports to me are Allaire and Englishtown (and McGuire and Fort Dix about 10 miles south), but this guy left toward the east which is toward Allaire from me.

I wouldn't mind contacting the guy with the Texan, but I'm more interested in the SBD Dauntless since that is the one my father flew in the war, and seeing that Texan today and making my incorrect assocation with the Dauntless bought back a lot of good memories. If you have info on any of those in my area I'd be very interested.

Thanks again.

pcasciola said:
Thanks for the info.

I think you're right about it being a 64 under the wing, matching the number of the side of the fuselage. I also noticed after zooming in beyond 100% that the tail appears to be yellow and red, with a large G on the yellow front half and the back half is hard to tell but might be a B (I guess for Guantanamo Bay).

I'm in central New Jersey, and the closest private airports to me are Allaire and Englishtown (and McGuire and Fort Dix about 10 miles south), but this guy left toward the east which is toward Allaire from me.

I wouldn't mind contacting the guy with the Texan, but I'm more interested in the SBD Dauntless since that is the one my father flew in the war, and seeing that Texan today and making my incorrect assocation with the Dauntless bought back a lot of good memories. If you have info on any of those in my area I'd be very interested.

Thanks again.

I don't know of any SBDs near where you are, but I can ask around. I forgot that aeroweb has a locator (not always up to date, always check before going someplace to see anything specific). They show a few:
http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/locator/manufact/douglas/sbd.htm

For those who have not been to aeroweb, or this part of their site. The manufacturers index gives you a clickable link, so you can drill down and find whatever you are looking for:
http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/locator/manufact/manufact.htm

I have other locator resources that are not available to the general public that I can check, but most of the time, it's the same on aeroweb. But we are always getting planes in and out of the CAF, so you never know what may turn up!

i can tell you a bit about british registered warbirds if anyone wants to know any more.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back