School aircraft!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Don't think that I've ever seen a thread about them!:lol: Which school aircraft would you say was the best during WWII?

Polikarpov U2/PO-2

Most produced plane in the world until the Cessna 172, served in a variety of roles including training, liason, medevac, partisan re-supply, nuisance raids, supply, and even crop dusting.

Also very good STOL capabilities, 70m, about the same (or less) as the Fiesler Storch.

I have heard it said that the Curtiss AT-9 was the best twin engined trainer of the war. If the student pilot could successfully take off and land an AT-9 without killing himself, he could indeed fly any multi-engine aircraft. The twin engine feature was quite handy on the AT-9, if one should happen to fail, the other would take you right to the crash.

Hey, wait a minute...wouldn't the answer be an L-4?

You get trained in the same plane that you turn around and do liason / artillery spotting in.
One plane, one pilot, for the whole war.

What could be simpler?!

Elvis
P.S. - VikingBerserker, I like your sig. Welcome to the forum.

Attachments

• PiperCub008 (L-4).jpg
    PiperCub008 (L-4).jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 57
I always liked the Bf 109G-12 and Fw 190A-8/U-1 (also called S-5 or S-8 depending on airframe converted and place of manufacture/ conversion)

Trainers used in the RNZAF during WW II include Tigermoths, Harvards, Oxfords, Ansons, Devons, Hudsons, Corsairs and Kittyhawks (-possibly other types too), used mostly for Pilot-, Navigation-, and Gunnery training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back