Scotch painters tape...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Does it rip off the paint...

I am letting my invasion stripes dry and when its done can I cover them with this tape while I paint the rest or will it remove the paint?

I have tamiya tape but trying to avoid using it......as I have very little and its expensive...

It depends on how strong the adhesive of the tape is.Also the important thing is if the tape is the papwr one. If it is you can soak it in warm water before you start it removing.It'lll make the adhesive layer softer and let you unstick the tape easier.

Its the Scotch blue tape......but I don't know how strong the adhesive has to be to be able to rip paint off.

Thanks for the quick reply mate!

btw, you don't need to have your invasion stripes neat. in reality, they were sloppily painted on with mops, brooms, anything they could get their hands on

Thanks, I am airbrushing the white and brush painting the black. I just want to cover the whole area while I spray the aircraft the aluminum and the nose blue. Just want to protect them from the other sprays :D .

You'r welcome H~.

The paint peeling is caused by incorrect preparing of surface for painting very often.

Harrison, I use the blue tape a lot and have never had trouble with it lifting paint, although it doesn't give as clean of an edge as Tamiya tape. What I do is use the Tamiya tape at the edge of the new paint and fill in everything else with the 3m blue.

No problemo....amigo.

Ah...I have forgotten.... you can use quite narrow tape or stripes just for masking of edges.The rest of surface , you need to mask , you can mask with pieces of paper sheet.In that way the tape will be sticked to quite small areas of painted surface.It is also the way you can save some tape ( the Tamiya one too.)

Well I do what Glenn does for masking edges Tamiya and then the rest with blue tape. I just want to protect this while painting the rest.

That's actually Brilliant Wojtek....thanks!!

Harry, here you are an example. Please notice I have used Tamiya tape for masking small areas on the fuselage.Also I have masked the wing leading and trailing edges with that. The rest of the model surfaces has been masked with the ordinary tape for painters.

Attachments

• mask1.jpg
    mask1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 122
  • mask2.jpg
    mask2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 103
g'day harrison,

I use the scotch blue painters tape and have no problems so far

cheers
pete

Another little trick which might help H. When I have to do this sort of job, I wrap clingfilm, or kitchen foil over / around the area, in this case the wing, and just use narrow strips of Tamiya tape to hold the edges in place, and make the straight line of the mask. The film or foil is easier to place and conform than paper on things like wings .

Another tip is to remove the tackiness of the blue tape by applying it to a clean surface ie table top , glass etc and then applying it as a mask. The idea being it wont be as adhesive as a fresh piece. If you want a straight edge though use thr good stuff (tamiya) for an edge and then cover the remainder as the other blokes have said. Having said that I have used the blue tape straight uo without trouble.

Another little trick which might help H. When I have to do this sort of job, I wrap clingfilm, or kitchen foil over / around the area, in this case the wing, and just use narrow strips of Tamiya tape to hold the edges in place, and make the straight line of the mask. The film or foil is easier to place and conform than paper on things like wings .

Thanks Terry that's what I ended up doing yesterday with a plastic bag. My model looks really funny all masked for the blue.

Also thanks Florence!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back