Scratchbuilding 1/48 Tigermoth Delta Charlie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ppopsie

Senior Airman
Nov 15, 2006
East end
This is said to be the oldest DH82 Tigermoth in airworthy condition and is currently operates from Headcorn aerodrome in Kent. I heared it had suffered several times of near write-off accident damages in the past.

I must mention this model is unfinished and is to be added some more details but I have to hold it up for a while for reading interesting books on the aviation.

Material: Wings are in solid wood with ribs in brass lines. Fuselages is in frame construction with brass lines soldered covered with thin styrene plastic sheets. Struts and the propeller are in carbon FRP. The upper-wing fuel tank with collugated skin is reproduced with DIY etching parts. The fuselage painting including the registration letters are brush-painted.

It is enormous joy to build a model of an airplane which one had experience in flying. One nice thing in scratchbuilinding is you don't worry anything about how the world's plastic kit makers' think.

Cheers the great deHavillands!

Attachments

• P1310006.JPG
    P1310006.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 140
  • P1310008.JPG
    P1310008.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 140
  • P1310004.JPG
    P1310004.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 137
Is this one older than the Swedish Tigermoth, that was said earlier to be the oldest one still flying.....
Haven't read much on the aviation in the old country...so I don't know. :oops:

Absolutely fantastic scratch-building work mate! I've flown alongside the real Delta Charlie, and your model really looks like her! Great stuff!
Now, where do I find these Lancasters?

Come to think about it...isn't G-ACDC an DH82A, while the oldest still flying Tigermoth in the world, in Sweden, is a pre-war DH82?
Now I'm confused....:lol:

Confusion is a wonderful place to be, everything is so colourful and fluffy....all the friendly voices.
Say what?
No I can't do that!
No I won't!
It's not very nice....
No, you shut up!
I don't have to take this, I'm going home....!

Anyhoo, too lazy looking it up now..:lol:

Thanks gents,

Till a few years back they said it was the oldest one flyable. I recommend everybody participating in this bbs to visit one of the airports where you can not only see the Tigermoths but fly in them. They are many today. In case of the one at Headcorn the Tiger Club will ask visiting pilots to fly club's 95hp Super cub first to get used to the taildraggers.

This Tigermoth was without; wheel brakes and oil temp gauges, let alone the CHTs. You need a pair of chocks when starting up the engine, and a person to prime the carb and crank the prop. Always having somebody work for you (or serve you) is quite a British way!

As for modeling I attempted to reproduce so-called rafwires by using DIY etching but what I mistook was using thin brass sheet which was very soft, had caused later slacks on the wires between the wings.

In my opinion scratchbuilding is easier than to "fix" the plastic kits which will require all one's energy. Please look at the websites of the friends of mine who had recently completed,former a F4F Wildcat and latter, a new 1/48 Tamiya Zero.
WingTip.index
¡Ö¥Ú¥¬¥µ¥¹¤ÎÍã¡×
These are all in Japanese but I think you can see the fine photos at least.

I AM still working on the Lancasters but these are held up after JMC model show organized by Hasegawa held last November. I think I must back online but.....

Attachments

• Etchedparts20060320.jpg
    Etchedparts20060320.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 123
  • P8100004.JPG
    P8100004.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 135
Would love to fly in a Tigermoth! Anyone know if there's a chance that they'll come up here in Scotland, or if there are Tigermoths flying here already?
Once again, a beautiful model of a beautiful machine and the Lancaster looks great as well! :thumbright:

Really excelent work, P Popsie. The Tiger moth is superb, but the Dams Lancaster looks astounding!
Jan, there's a friend I haven't seen for a while, at my old club at Barton, who used to give flights in his 'Moth. I believe there is also one at Turnhouse (Edinburgh) and at Strathallan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back