Scratchbuilt (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Amigos............

Not much to see yet, here is the 8 passanger SM-71. I should be finishing it by middle of May, in the mean time started a very strange CA-134, only one made for a competition on Observation planes the Regia Aeronautica release.....the winner was the RO-37.
I could no find any plans of the CA-134 anywhere so I used the "photoreference" technique. Which is taking measurements out of photos of the aircraft related to the witdth and length of a known subject in the photo near the plane. With a good drawing program and the PC this becomes very easy. The airplane photos I have had nothing near if of known size so by fooling with the picture of another object I place it near the plane and interpolted points to obtain the size of the real one. Reduced them to a 1:72 scale and drew the plans......once I move on I´ll show you some pics.

Here is the SM-71

712.jpg

PASSO3A.jpg

paso4.jpg

:shock:

lovely work there.......
with the plans do you buy them or just search them up on the net?

And if they are not in say 1;72 scale do you have a formula or conversion that makes them to say 1;72 from 1;32

cheers

Hi Gerar,
It seems I haven't read you there for ages.:lol:
But as I can see you have benn working very hard.The model looks great.What are its main dimensions?

And if they are not in say 1;72 scale do you have a formula or conversion that makes them to say 1;72 from 1;32

I use these formulas :

To find a dimension in a scale you need:

Attachments

• formula1.jpg
    formula1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 155
If you can use the Xero device you will need the number of percent to input to the machine for enlarging or reducing drawings. Usually I take a wingspan and lenght into consideration.If the percent in the two cases is the same it means that drawings are O.K. A small difference ( less than 0.3%) is acceptable ,if not I try to find others. There is a formula:

Attachments

• formula2.jpg
    formula2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 150
Honest mate.... I think that I'll stick to 1/48 and later on 1/35. Much more simple, a bit of glue here, paint there and decals everywhere....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Therefore I've been sticking to 1:72 scale plastic kits and 1:33 scale for paper models.But in many cases a modeler needs drawings in his favourite scale so he has to convert them from other scale ones into drawings that can be useful for him.You'll agree with me for sure the formulas are helpful.

That is some seriously slick craftsmanship there ! The only solid wooden models I have done were for whirlygigs ! I don't count the many balsa and tissue wind them up and throw them directly at the ground sort !
Unfortunatly they have all rotted and fallen apart. I used to have a bunch in the yard.

Hi Heinz and Wurger.......

Most plans can be gotten in the Internet, there are literally thousands, some very good and some passable..Just make a Google search for "3 view aircraft plans" and you get quite a score.........You find plans for all scales but mostly
1:72 scale. you also find "conversion" tables for changing one scale to another but its very easy.
The SM-71 is only 12" wingspan....a little 8 passenger.
Should finish it soon, and post photos.............
Nice to say hi.

Gera

Hi Gerar !!!
This SM-71 looks fantastic.An excellent work.Congrats. :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back