Seafire Crash

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would think that it would have to screw something up in the engine. Spinning at that many RPM's even if at idol would still cause some damage as the prop comes to a almost complete and sudden stop, as the torque has to go some where.

It's a Seafire Mk.XVII,SX336.With short Griffon nose, four-blade propeller, cut-down rear fuselage, streamlined bubble canopy and normal-size fin, the Mk. XVII was arguably the best looking of all the Seafires. 233 of this variant were produced. This particular Seafire was built in April 1946 at Westland Aircraft in Yeovil.
Its first post restoration flight was in 2006. Pilot Anna Walker made a wheels up landing due to the failiure of the undercarriage to extend and the aircraft rotated through 180 degrees before coming to a halt. Damage is described as light,whatever that means, and the pilot was unhurt. The incident happened at Bordues,near Lille, France.
Cheers
Steve

I have it on good authority that this crash was indeed pilot error, and in fact, she forgot to put her gear down. If you go through the picture sequence, the facts presented in the photographs bear this out as well.

As she settles in, you'll see she's configured dirty (except for gear), and slightly nose down, preparing for flare on landing. Once she realizes she's forgotten her gear, you can see where she adds power, lifts the nose, and pancakes in. An unfortunate error, but an error all the same. The pic of the inside right side of the cockpit was taken AFTER the plane had been lifted off the ground with the crane, and the gear selector lever was placed in the correct position. Sometimes, knowing the right people can answer a lot of questions.

Estimated cost of the overhaul is about $80k, assuming there aren't structural issuses inside the wing or fuselage.

What authority? I would not be so swift to pass judgement unless I was in possession of ALL the facts,are you?
That aircraft should have a warning horn,was it operational?
If the undercarriage had indeed failed to extend had she followed the routine to try to drop it? It can be difficult to get the weight of the wheels off the locking pins.
This was at an airshow. I'm not an expert on air show organisation but wouldn't the pilot have been in radio contact with the ground,someone who might have mentioned the lack of an undercarriage on her final approach?
I'll wait for the results of the investigation. Of course if you already have them I'd be happy to see them.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
What authority? I would not be so swift to pass judgement unless I was in possession of ALL the facts,are you?
That aircraft should have a warning horn,was it operational?
If the undercarriage had indeed failed to extend had she followed the routine to try to drop it? It can be difficult to get the weight of the wheels off the locking pins.
This was at an airshow. I'm not an expert on air show organisation but wouldn't the pilot have been in radio contact with the ground,someone who might have mentioned the lack of an undercarriage on her final approach?
I'll wait for the results of the investigation. Of course if you already have them I'd be happy to see them.
Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve,

Let me just say, without revealing names, that I have family in the warbird community, and they happen to know the regular pilot of that particular Seafire. If you send me a PM, I'd be happy to fill you in on the details, but not here in public.

And yes, let's wait for the results of the investigation.

Top pilot to be so skilled in an impossible situation.
Will the Seafire fly again? we'll have to see.
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back