Seesul´s lingual corner

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This Iowa countryside is some beautiful land for farming. The land is real black and these farmers have a corn patch for every cotton patch that we have back home. They have the nicest homes and more big barns and outhouses than Carter has liver pills.

Which Carter does the author mean?

In the late 1800s, up until about the 1960s, there was a drug (medicine) called "Carters Little Liver Pills". It was used to treat headaches and general pains, like aspirin. Because it was so heavily advertised and well known, it was assumed that they had a lot of them.

So that phrase was meant as a way of comparing the number of items with Carters Liver Pills, meaning there were a lot of what they compare it with. It is a more creative way of saying that there were a lot of barns and outhouses in Iowa.

In the late 1800s, up until about the 1960s, there was a drug (medicine) called "Carters Little Liver Pills". It was used to treat headaches and general pains, like aspirin. Because it was so heavily advertised and well known, it was assumed that they had a lot of them.

So that phrase was meant as a way of comparing the number of items with Carters Liver Pills, meaning there were a lot of what they compare it with. It is a more creative way of saying that there were a lot of barns and outhouses in Iowa.

Many thanks Eric for your perfect explanation! I just finished the translation of the article and am going to send it to the publisher...
Thx again for the help of all of you.

I just decided to make a Cambridge First Certificate in English. It´s a 2 years long course that is finished by the examination. The examination is accepted in whole European Union. I think it would be a shame not to use this chance because I love English but never learned it at school.
So it´s gonna be hard course but I just feel I need it...
Cambridge ESOL: First Certificate in English (FCE)

Since I'm not native English speaker sometimes I have difficulty with understanding some abbreviations which I encounter from time to time on the forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
IMO = in my opinion
lol = lots of laughs
LMAO = ?

I would like to know what LMAO means.
Thanks.

LOL=Laughing out loud
LMAO=Laughing my a$$ off.
ROFL=Rolling on the floor laughing

Tally Ho is what is stated when another aircraft is sighted. I have seen it used when forming up into a formation too. Two aircraft go out, then another two in pair that form up on the first pair. As the second element spots the lead element, they will often say 'Tally Ho'.

Tally Ho is attributed to an old English phrase used in fox hunting and the term was used when a fox was spotted.

Dead stick landing refers to an airplane landing without engine power.

Thanks for explanation Eric. There are also many abbreviations with TO in it. For example PTO etc?

In this case, it means Theater of Operations, so
PTO Pacific Theater of Operations
MTO Mediterranean Theater of Operations
ETO European Theater of Operations
and so on.

There are a ton of other things TO can mean, depending on the context of the conversation.

I believe so Seesul. Temporary, unofficial,

Acting, adj.Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another

Thanks Dave!

Here´a small example- Duran Duran- Come undone
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHk3PVmfVY

Nine immaculate dream made breath and skin
I've been waiting for you
Signed with a home tattoo
happy birthday to you
Was created for you

Can't ever keep from falling apart
At the seams