Seesul´s lingual corner (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seesul

Senior Master Sergeant
As you probably know, I´ve never learn English at school, so from time to time I have some troubles with translation...
So I´ve opened this thread in order to discuss about gramacy, words etc. with you.
I won´t ask you everyday but just in case of need, hoping I´m not bothering you...

O.K. so my question for today is:
:idea: the verb got in connection with another verb in slang as perhabs you got to move (you gotta move) or I got to do it (I gotta do it) means present (you have to move or I have to do it), past (you had to move or I had to do it) or both, depending on situation?

Last edited:
you are correct Roman. gotta move could easily mean right at this time, or depending on the character of the person involved, they will get to it when they feel like it........

hope this is not confusing as I am really trying to simplify and make it easy to understand

you are correct Roman. gotta move could easily mean right at this time, or depending on the character of the person involved, they will get to it when they feel like it........

hope this is not confusing as I am really trying to simplify and make it easy to understand

O.K. Erich,thanks, so it never means past, right?

This could turn into a very long thread if everyone posts questions about what we all do not know about the English language!:lol:

Ahoj Roman !

The guy you need to talk to about English is Wojtek. We have been PM'ing
several times a day, for over a year. He learned English in school and uses
it in his profession, as an air traffic controller. The past year or so his
English has improved 200%. He still makes errors, but I try to correct him.
He gets into trouble talking to Dan [Les] because of his shortcuts in the
language. He must text a lot 'cause he uses a lot of shortcuts. He uses
"ur" quite often for your. And of course his vocabulary reaches to the ends
of the earth !! I'm sure Wojtek will help you with your engleeze...... If I
can help, don't hesitate to PM me. You must remember I only went to the
7th grade, so my math sucks.

I have noticed, on the forum, that lots of guys from English speaking counties
have trouble with "there" and "their". Just remember "there" denotes a place.
"Their" denotes possession.

Charles

Ok Charles, thanks a lot!
I´ve also noticed few times perhabs 'she don´t know' instead of 'she doesn´t know' from English speaking guys...but that´s the same here with Czech language...not all the people know their own language...

Anyway- Wojtek- my credit!

I use my English everyday (or every day :?: :lol: ) as well, but I speak with Italians and that´s something else than US or British English...

Since we are on the subject, Roman, I have had multiple definitions for the Czech word "lomcevak". I have heard it is the word for headache, but I have also heard it means drunken stupor. Can you clarify that for me? I have no idea.

yep, a lot of English words have a more different meanings in Czech. Without knowing the whole sentence you´re not able to translate it.
German you can traslate almost word by word, it is more accurate and they don´t use a lot of idioms...but their grammar is more difficult than English...

Since we are on the subject, Roman, I have had multiple definitions for the Czech word "lomcevak". I have heard it is the word for headache, but I have also heard it means drunken stupor. Can you clarify that for me? I have no idea.

For a drunken stupor we use a special word 'opice'. Opice means 'monkey'.
So when you wanna say, 'he came back totaly drunk', you say,''vrátil se s opicí'- to the letter, 'he came back with monkey'.

As for lomcevak- in fact it should be 'lomcovak'- it means a very strong drink (shot of alcohol,very strong tee, very strong coffee) that shakes your body after you drink it out. The verb 'lomcovat' means 'to shake' in English. So 'lomcovak' is a noun created from the verb 'lomcovat'.

Hope it´s clear...

P.S. as usually-the lesson N°1 is always about tipple, nasty words or parts of woman´s body :)

For a drunken stupor we use a special word 'opice'. Opice means 'monkey'.
So when you wanna say, 'he came back totaly drunk', you say,''vrátil se s opicí'- to the letter, 'he came back with monkey'.

As for lomcevak- in fact it should be 'lomcovak'- it means a very strong drink (shot of alcohol,very strong tee, very strong coffee) that shakes your body after you drink it out. The verb 'lomcovat' means 'to shake' in English. So 'lomcovak' is a noun created from the verb 'lomcovat'.

Hope it´s clear...

P.S. as usually-the lesson N°1 is always about tipple, nasty words or parts of woman´s body :)

Thanks Roman, there is an aerobatic maneuver that was started in 1968 by a Czech pilot named Ladislav Bezák. His mechanic called it a Lomcevak, according to the story, as told to me. Of course, the Czech to English translation can always lead to misspellings and misunderstanding of the exact translations.

Aha, I´ve never heard about him...here´s one of the notes I´ve found on him:
The name of Czechoslovakian aircraft manufacturer Zlin has been associated with excellence in aerobatic aircraft since the firm was founded in 1934. The first airplane to win a modern World Aerobatic championship was the two seat Zlin 226T Trener, at the hands of Ladislav Bezák, who flew one in the 1960 World Championships at Bratislava, Czechoslovakia in 1960.

btw, Zlin aeroplanes were produced in Otrokovice, 6 miles away fromZlin, where I live today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back