Seesul´s lingual corner (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Roman, I'm pretty sure that Brogans they were referring to were a type of military boots that looked more like a shoe.

Brogans were worn during the American Civil War (1861-1865) and if I remember right, were also called "Jefferson Bootees", since they were only ankle-high.

Thank you Dave, I also think Mr. Tucker means GI shoes in this sentence. But why does he write ´over the boots´ instead of ´into the boots?´

By definition found, Brogan is an Irish slang for shoe. So this makes sense that boots in the Civil War would be called Brogans. The crew in the USAAF wore electric or battery powered booties for high altitude, low temperatures. Regular boots were, I think too small to fit over these. So is why they would attach their Brogans to the parachute to put on after landing. Yes? Bill

By definition found, Brogan is an Irish slang for shoe. So this makes sense that boots in the Civil War would be called Brogans. The crew in the USAAF wore electric or battery powered booties for high altitude, low temperatures. Regular boots were, I think too small to fit over these. So is why they would attach their Brogans to the parachute to put on after landing. Yes? Bill

Yes Bill, thanks also to you!

I am thinking "wounded" would be by Direct enemy action, gun shot, flak.

"Injured" could be by an accident, like plane crash. car crash. falling object.

? You suppose?

Maybe-) Here perhaps is one example.
L to R - Mojmir Baca, Roman Susil, Loy Dickinson, Moi, Czech Republic. All attending Memoriam.
This text was written by Loy Dickinson (my friend´s Joe navigator) after his visit of our town in 2004.
You can find a picture with this text here AIR BATTLE OVER THE WHITE CARPTHIAN MOUNTAINS you just have to scroll the page down.
Just wondering...

Last edited:
Balbo was a common term in the late 1930s and early 1940s to describe any large formation of aircraft. It was named after the Italian fascist flying ace Italo Balbo who led a series of large aircraft formations in record-breaking flights to promote Italian aviation in the 1930s.

During the Battle of Britain the term was used for the Big Wings that were based at RAF Duxford.

This is from Wikipedia

Generally on this side of the pond a wound bleeds so a bullet wound is both an injury and a wound but a broken leg is an injury.

Photo reconnaisance uses a camera tactical recon uses weapons too, its armed recon.

Moi is sometimes used in English in place of "who me" if accused of something

Thank you Eric and Mustang nut!

Seesul

with regard to language and the military many words a of French origin because wartime aviation was born in France reconaisance just means recognise and reconnoitre means inspect the RAF first saw action as the AAC the first world war in France. A mission is called a "Sortie" because in french Sortie means exit or departed. When a british pilot asked a french guy where a colleague was, when on a mission he was told "I'll et sortie" or "he has left" so "sortie" became a word for a mission.

Thank you again. Yes, sortie was one of the words I was always wondering about.
A word that always confused me was "mess" as in officers mess. Mess in French is the Catholic religious service AND the place that officers and other ranks eat. In English the religious service is "mass" but the cantine is the Mess, in any other usage "mess" means disorganisation and chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back