Show us what you are doing in the 'lockdown'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Paint and decals done !

received_2759799197479475.jpeg
received_228039201753495.jpeg

Sorry this isn't a WW2 bird, but I've spent the lockdown on this A-10C Thunderbolt II. 1/72, Hasegawa. The Idaho Air National Guard has a squadron of these bad boys here in Boise. The 124th Fighter Wing, 190th Fighter Squadron. The model kit came with decals for other A-10 units in the U.S. - ANG units in other states. I wanted this one to resemble those here at home, so I got in touch with the Public Information office at the squadron here to get some hi-res photos for making my own IANG-specific decals for the twin tails, and the engines. The unit is called "The Skullbangers". Over recent years, they've been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Links to unit info: 124th Fighter Wing > Home

The decals came out pretty good. The model is finished, and needs some weathering/fading. I'm researching that. Any suggestions for weathering or scaling effect dust/haze would be appreciated. If the scale proportioning is correct, this plane is LOTS bigger than a Me109 or Fw190. A P-38 is closer in size.
P4240005.JPG
A10.jpg
P4240013.JPG
P4240017.JPG
P4240018.JPG

Thanks very much. The next lockdown build will be an Fw190D in this livery.
My understanding is that these planes were flying cover for Me262 bases. The Me262's (as well as anything else on the ground, for that matter), were vulnerable to air attack. These Fw190D's were painted in this red with white stripes underside for easy recognition by the German flak units. Looking forward to it. My kit is a 1/48 Hobby Boss Fw190D-10. Mainly a prototypical sub-variant that didn't see much, if any, series production. Rather, used as a test bed for different engine evaluation and upgrades. I believe the series production went from the D-9, to the D-11 (as in the attached photo), to the D-13. I'll paint it like this one.

Attachments

• Fw190D JG44 paint scheme.jpg
    Fw190D JG44 paint scheme.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 35
Mosquito Elevator Control assembly finished at home:

200418 Elevator Control Assembled.jpg

20041902 Final.jpg

And two new projects brought home to the workshop. First, the elevator trim jack assembly, and yes, that's all caked-on grease and dirt:

20200430_154518 reduced.jpg

The Emergency Hydraulic Hand Pump, in a little better shape. Fortunately, the leather is in good condition.

20200430_154713 reduced.jpg

I'm really lucky because I live in the countryside and still get out running, cycling etc. with my social distancing intact. That said, I'm spending a fair bit of time with the kits. I'm doing a bunch of "quick and dirty" builds just to get my little NAS back up to strength, many of the models I did a decade ago were damaged or lost. Revell Fairey Fulmar primed up (I love that bit), Airfix Corsair with far too much filler on it, and a Seafire I did years ago that's getting a new prop, cannons and undercarriage.

planes.jpg

Sorry this isn't a WW2 bird, but I've spent the lockdown on this A-10C Thunderbolt II. 1/72, Hasegawa. The Idaho Air National Guard has a squadron of these bad boys here in Boise. The 124th Fighter Wing, 190th Fighter Squadron. The model kit came with decals for other A-10 units in the U.S. - ANG units in other states. I wanted this one to resemble those here at home, so I got in touch with the Public Information office at the squadron here to get some hi-res photos for making my own IANG-specific decals for the twin tails, and the engines. The unit is called "The Skullbangers". Over recent years, they've been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Links to unit info: 124th Fighter Wing > Home

The decals came out pretty good. The model is finished, and needs some weathering/fading. I'm researching that. Any suggestions for weathering or scaling effect dust/haze would be appreciated. If the scale proportioning is correct, this plane is LOTS bigger than a Me109 or Fw190. A P-38 is closer in size.View attachment 579210View attachment 579209View attachment 579211View attachment 579212View attachment 579213

That's a beaut. If I was ever to go outside my FAA comfort zone, it would be to do an A-10. Got a private airshow from a pair of them on the east coast a few years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back