Show us Your LHS !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Waddell's Models on 56 Bell Street, but that's more a modell railroad shop...another one is Pastimes on 126 Maryhill Road..

Last edited:
Nope, don't think they're the ones either. It could well have closed as, from memory, the owner was getting on a bit even back then, so maybe retired - or taken over by the now defunct 'Model Zone' perhaps ?
Unless it was Jamieson's, and they've moved ?

Here's mine...

DHWH2_zpscigjyrla.jpg

You can click on the thumbnail below to get a Google tour of the place...

ms.jpg

Great thread! There are actually 4 or 5 that I can choose from here in Calgary. It'll take me a while to gather up some pics.

Terry, I see a rack full of Tamiya paint at your local store. It's time you stopped bitchin' about your Humbrols and try these out.

Unfortunately I have no real LHS near me. The closest I've got to one is a Hobbytown but that's more R/C and Slot cars sort of hobby store than model kit store. It's got a crap ton of cars and a miniscule collection of Aircraft, Figures and Armor. Better than nothing I guess?

Great thread! There are actually 4 or 5 that I can choose from here in Calgary. It'll take me a while to gather up some pics.

Terry, I see a rack full of Tamiya paint at your local store. It's time you stopped bitchin' about your Humbrols and try these out.

Whaaat !
Acrylic paints are the work of the Devil, and Tamiya is Lucifer incarnate !
But I do use acrylics sometimes, when stuck for a decent enamel - but very rarely, and preferably not Tamiya !

This is a good idea, unfortunately I buy 100% online

Me too and mostly from Asia or Europe (UK,Poland). I use to buy a lot from the U.S. but the US Postal Service rates for international shipments to Canada which is just over the border have gone through the roof in the last year. Not to mention the high U.S. dollar which makes most U.S. suppliers (i.e. Sprue brothers) to international buyers really uncompetitive. It's actually cheaper to purchase product further away.

Attachments

• 20150310_121452.jpg
    20150310_121452.jpg
    982.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150310_121634.jpg
    20150310_121634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
There is nothing like some of those packed full stores here. There is basically one good one, three ok ones, and a couple that really are for paint only. I'll also grab pics next time I'm at them. Two of the ok ones are a chain, and they have decent items but they are overpriced.

Capt. Vick, there used to be a shop like that when I was younger but it was 1 hour away. We would save our money and then my dad would take us kids there about once or twice a year. It was heaven.

Last edited:
I've been thinking (and yes, it hurt!) .... when I first moved to this town, 22 years ago, there used to be no less than seven model-related shops, all within half a mile of each other, in a town with a population of just over 62,000 !
There were two branches of a family-run toy and hobby shop - one branch with three floors selling toys for all ages, plus bikes, sports goods, prams and pushchairs and baby furniture etc, plus a few kits, with the other having a larger model and model railway section. Then there was a model railway shop, also selling a few kits, just two doors up from the LHS already posted, and the art shop also sold kits and modelling stuff, and was a huge place with three floors and rooms all over the place - now down to one room on the ground floor, a quarter of the size of the original ground floor space, but no modelling stuff.
There was a 'Toymaster' store, which had the usual few Revell and Airfix kits and good old 'Woolworths', which often had some great offers - got a Airfix 1/24th scale Bf109E for £7, instead of £30 a year or two before they closed!
Apart from these. there were also a few 'local' shops such as newsagents, which had the odd couple of kits.
The only one left now is 'Cheshire Models', as shown in the first post of this thread !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back