Show us Your LHS !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jim, that place looks a lot like the best model shop we used to have here in Calgary (Uncle Bill's) until Rick, the Owner, died of cancer last year and all his stuff was shipped to Hong Kong.

I made it to 3 of mine today, all in a futile attempt to stock up on some Alclad paints. Seems our customs people have trouble with Alclad and Tamiya paints and there are long periods between shipments. When the shelves get stocked they get emptied pretty quick by hoarders. Anyway, after I came up dry at the first place I went to, I forgot about this thread and didn't take a picture, though it's the second of two locations for this place:

Calgary-20150313-00354.jpg

This is by far the largest store in Calgary and stocks a wide range of hobby items, including pink, fluffy, crafty stuff for the ladies. Below is one of the model aisles with planes on the nearest shelves on the right and on half the shelves at the left. Beyond are cars on the left and ships on the right. In the next aisle over you'll find the armour models.

Calgary-20150313-00355.jpg

Here's the paint aisle with racks of styrene rod, sheet, and shapes in the middle and diorama stuff on the shelf at right.

Calgary-20150313-00356.jpg

I used to frequent this place as it was the closest to my home. It specializes in trains and used to have lots of models at decent prices but it's become one of those places that carries a lot of sci-fi stuff now in addition to trains. As a result, the model stock has been depleted to make room for the sci-fi stuff. When I asked about Alclad paints, which I could not find, the guy wanted me to spell it as he never heard of it. Not going there any more.

Calgary-20150313-00357.jpg

Sorry for the crap picture - cell phone from the car.

Last edited:
This is where I buy supplies, paint, glue and plastic. Maybe about 50 kits of various scales but none that I need. My only choice for paints are Tamiya and Vallejo, the latter I'm learning to love. Next door is a convenient Tim Hortons that I send SWMBO...

Untitled.jpg

...the sad part of this is it's a 4hr round trip. I actually drove down and back once for 3 bottles of paint.

Geo

Went around to 4 of the local shops today, only to find out one of them is closing. They had everything at 50% off in a sale that started a full month ago, so I missed out entirely on any deals, besides some paints that were still laying around. The good news is, they're closing after 37 years because they want to retire, not because they couldn't afford to keep doing it. Unfortunately they were the best stocked for paints, even if they didn't have the greatest kit selection, so that will hurt.

Anyway, here are the different shops:

Comex Hobby

CDC6309E-904A-4EE3-A277-F28303A199C3_zpsfjs98ili.jpg

There are two locations in the city, one in West Edmonton Mall, another in a different mall. While they have a decent selection and a few brands that nobody else carries in the city, such as Kitty Hawk, their prices reflect the overhead they have in the malls. You're almost better off ordering online than buying from them sometimes. Even with our dollar being crap compared to the US, I could order a Seafire kit they had there for less from spruebrothers. For instance, they had a 1/48 Meng Me 410 for $109.99, while another store in the city had the exact same kit for 74.99...

They also deal with some board games, action figures, and a lot of Japanese anime stuff, which I personally have no interest in.

Great Hobbies

72ADBD65-6A1F-41B2-996A-3CB4C058F254_zpsjfnr3c9b.jpg

This store is a national chain, though they only have 4 stores, but they have some online ordering. They're nothing special but their prices are ok, generally slightly lower than elsewhere. They deal in a lot of RC stuff, so I think that's where they make their money.

Hobby Wholesale

4D7DAE39-9D58-4571-890C-D13B26365CE9_zpshsvwabbq.jpg

D2E4F1D7-19B0-41CE-8936-F85FDBFF4DFD_zpsgolqv2ap.jpg

290BA757-C30A-49C3-B431-921B02E96169_zpsazziy35p.jpg

These guys are probably the best store in the city in terms of both general pricing and selection. They have some random items pop up from time to time, but mostly it's fairly generic, with the odd weird kit laying around. Lots of Italeri, lots of Tamiya, and lots of Airfix. Not a lot of Revell. Nobody really carries Hasegawa here anymore. They're the healthiest probably because while they have dealt in RC stuff for years, they also expanded and now sell a lot of Lego, Playmobil and other toys. Their selection in that respect seems quite good, so I imagine they make their money mostly through that and the RC.

Kites and Other Delights is the store that's closing (I didn't bother taking a picture since the place was basically empty), while I didn't go to the other Comex location at West Edmonton Mall, and I didn't go to either location of Hobby Alley. Hobby Alley is ok for paints, but that's really only because it's the closest to my house (basically all the other ones are the opposite end of town). Their kit selection is generally poor to bad, and they are overwhelmingly an RC store. Nobody carries aftermarket decals here, nor are there a lot of books aside from Squadron books, and Kites had more of them than anyone. Basically, if a kit is in town I prefer to buy it here, but there's a lot of not completely generic kits that never show up, so I'm forced to shop online.

Good post Cory. I can get the Meng 410 for about 75 bucks here in town as well. The owners of your shop there must be smoking something.

It was unbelieveable. They must stay open because of their other items. The Seafire has been there for ages, but there seems to be other new stuff, so I'm not sure what the stock turnover is like, as I haven't been to that location in quite some time. Once the 410s started showing up in stores here I felt a lot better about my auction "victory" for $40 down in your neck of the woods. :lol:

Cory you give me a LHS like that and my bank account would be deleted!!I drove to Mobile the other day about 1hrs drive and walked out with a book on the 'Admiral Hipper Class" not single kit jumped off the shelf at me.The LHS and the one Mobile are catering to the bigger bucks in RC cars,planes and boats whilst the plastic continues to shrink.I have heard it's tough to put that much money into an inventory and wait for it to move but just like the other day when it shrinks only the stuff no wants is left.

Capt. Vick you ever visit Willis Hobbies in Mineola? That's where I used to go when I lived in Queens and later when I lived down the block in Roslyn Heights.

Mineola_NY_Willis_Hobbies_Nov_2004_smaller_photo.jpg

Will have to snap a picture of my new local spot in Rock Hill next time I pick up some paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back