SMER 1/48 ish? Tiger Moth

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FatMart

Airman
Jun 1, 2009
This modelt was previously on the wall of shame but now it is here and I would like to say thanks to all of the guys that helped me finish it. This is the SMER 1/48 Tiger Moth built right OOB apart from fuse wire and a little bit of clear plastic from some food packaging as I lost the kit windscreens. It was a pleasure to build this kit and I highly recommend it to others from beginner to the advanced modellers. What would I have done differently now it is finished. I would have scribed the control surfaces and junked the Mr. Blobby pilots but as this kit is destined for the ceiling airforce I guess that none of that really matters.

Attachments

• e.bay plans 186.jpg
    e.bay plans 186.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 383
  • e.bay plans 187.jpg
    e.bay plans 187.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 425
  • e.bay plans 188.jpg
    e.bay plans 188.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 334
  • e.bay plans 189.jpg
    e.bay plans 189.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 373
  • e.bay plans 191.jpg
    e.bay plans 191.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 411
She's beautiful mart!!!! The figure riding back-seat looks a little weird in the face, not sure.. :lol:

Very nice work indeed mate. They really are bl**dy good value the SMER kits, providing a great basis for some beaut models. The most 'expensive' I've seen are the Mig17's, at just over £7 ! Gonna be getting me a few I think, including some of the more 'unusual' ones, like the Walrus, and maybe a Swordfish - can't go wrong at that price, and now that I've seen some of your beaut examples, I know that they can turn out very well indeed, especially with a bit of scratch-built detailing.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks for your comments guys. I agree with you about the chap in the rear looking a little weird in the face Maglar but when it comes to a six year old "The Likkle Men" are a must have item and as I didn't have any others that were suitable, it had to be the kit figures. Can I also say that looking at the pictures the rigging (5 amp fuse wire) appears to be different thicknessess but that is just a trick of the camera flash. I think at certain angles the wire reflects more light back creating the impression that it is wider than it actually is. Right, now for that bloody Bulldog. ps. I didn't rig the tail as that is where the fishing line will go when it joins the ceiling airforce.

Last edited:
Well mart, I agree with using what you got, ive got some weird figure molds before. I dont think I could have the patience to rig so my thumbs up, I didnt even know the different thickness's until you just mentioned it! :)

Thanks Catch22. Maglar, the wires are all the same size but the pictures make them appear to be different. Rigging the way I do it isn't really that difficult, it's just cutting it to the exact lenth that is the tricky part. You straighten the wire between two flat peices of wood by a forward and backward motion. Then you put a dab of white glue (PVA) where the wire connects with a toothpick then locate one end of the wire in the glue and move the other end into position with the toothpick. Check for size and then trim then replace it in position when you are happy with it. I also use a small metal ruler to get a rough idea of length before trying the test fit as it is important for it to be too long rather than too short. Give it a go, it is actually quite good fun.

Lucky, I chose the most colourful scheme as it was going on my sons ceiling and he isn't a big fan of camoflage. Thanks Gnomey and Wurger for your remarks.

Mart, have you got, or have you seen, the SMER Swordfish? I was wondering if the kit included the normal wheeled landing gear, or just the floats, as shown on the box art.

Hi Terry, I have never been lucky enough to get my little grubbies on the Swordfish as yet but if I ever see one I'll snap it up. I did the Avro 504k about 10 years ago and that was the nicest kit of all the ones that I've seen.

OK, thanks mate. The Aviation Hobby Shop has the Swordfish, for the princely sum of £6.99 !!! And they don't charge postage etc. Think it'll be going on my list too - really can't go wrong at that price, even if it's pants, which I doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back