some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Or to protect pilot ego (F-117).

Where did you come up with that?

I've heard this from several sources...

"Why the designation F-117A?

This has been a topic of much debate. However, the most plausible theory that is believed by the author is that the F-117A really did get its number from the numbering system used for Soviet and other "black" aircraft at Groom. Numbers such as YF-110, YF-113, YF-114, etc.,...up through (and possibly beyond) YF-117A were used by the test pilots as radio callsigns. After a while, these radio call signs came to be sort of unofficial designations for these aircraft. The number 117 became so closely associated with the stealth fighter that when Lockheed printed up the first Dash One Pilot Manual, it had "F-117A" on the cover. Since the Air Force didn't want to pay millions of dollars to re-do all the manuals, the aircraft became the F-117A officially.(As a note: A similar mistake was made when LBJ announced the existence of the "Blackbird". It was supposed to have been designated RS-71, but LBJ announced it as SR-71 and no one had the guts to tell LBJ that he had goofed. The designation stuck.)"

F-117A: Frequently Asked Questions

The gentleman speaking is Alan Brown (senior project engineer 'Have Blue').

EDIT: When he says Bob Dixon 'who was head of Tac' he is referring to General Robert J. Dixon, head of the Tactical Air Command.

I know of Alan Brown, brilliant man from the school of Kelly, I seen him once or twice when I was in the Skunk Works in 1980 - the problem is TAC has nothing to do with directly development, procurement and testing of new combat systems, that lies with USAF Material Command. It was their call.

Hey I have a question that should ... please ... not be misinterpreted. Really, I want it answered.

Joe, you asked syscom for some stats and hours and statistical significance. He might have wanted to answer, but might not have been able to find anything. If you asked me that, I probably couldn't find it, either. So my question is:

Where exactly would someone go about finding the data to refute or support an argument about single versus twin engine aircraft in either commercial or military service?

I certainly don't know or I would have done a LOT of anaysis a hell of a lot sooner, just out of personal curiosity.

I very occasionally see some study that is many years old detailing some number of hours between accidents, but the studies don't exactly say where they got the information except from some obscure military office to which I have no access at all.

How about a thread or a subforum on sources of aviation data related to WWII and later military aircraft and possibly even civilian aircraft since most of us who fly ... fly civil aircraft?

There's plenty of sources available to anyone with internet access. As far as Syscom, I did give him ample time to answer but was fed up coddling him and his ignorant bullsh!t (as were other members of the forum who have complained to me about his stupidity), that's why he's gone for a while and that's all that's going to be said about that.

Now if you want to build an analysis comparing aircraft capability, engine reliability etc., you could try the manufacturer or sometimes even public military records. For example;

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/R43049.pdf

AIB REPORTS

Some civilian sources;

https://www.pw.utc.com/Content/Press_Kits/pdf/PrattWhitney_Brochure.pdf

and you could always go to the FAA SDR Data Base and fish around;

FAA :: SDR Reporting [SDR Submission Form]

And last but not least the NTSB accident data base;

NTSB Aviation Accident Database Synopses

I could list more and do welcome further discussion but right now I'm at work and am hoping to get on the road - more to come!

Users who are viewing this thread