some F35 info (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The bold portion is absolutely laughable at best, considering that the JSF contract was signed in 1996. Let's see...who's administration was it at that time? Hmmm...

In regards to the M247 "Sergeant York" SPAAG battlefield component system, they tried to pack far too much tech into a single platform as well as constantly changed specs/requirements mid-project. The Soviets weren't helping by introducing new hardware, either.
There was no "rigging" or conspiracies...the M247 project simply became far too bloated to succeed and the project was axed.

My guess about the Israeli/Russian SAM access code bit, was someone's trying to save face (or their ass).

All of Russia's customers are Israel's enemies, giving out access codes is bad for business

Primary radars don't have "secret codes" that allow a target to turn them on or off. Secondary radars (not really radars at all, but beacon tracking systems such as IFF) might fit such a description. No SAM I have ever heard of uses a secondary radar to track the non-cooperative target, they use primary radar for skin track of a target, although they may use a beacon system associated with the missile after they have fired it.

Monostatic primary (skin track) radar works as a stand alone system. It emits a pulse of energy and looks for the return of that energy from a reflective target. While radar pulses may be coded for a variety of reasons the "code" does not make or stop the pulse from reflecting. So "having the code" would not make your aircraft undetectable or make the radar not see a skin return, I have never seen a "code" that a target could have that would turn off the radars ability to see it. To have such a feature, no matter how closely guarded, would be asking to have it exploited.

The article says "the Russians gave Israel the secret code of the Russian radar in Iran". If there is any truth to that at all, even the slightest sliver, it would probably be the codes to the IFF, Identification Friend or Foe, system. I see no reason the Russians would do such a thing. Also, why would the Russians even have that code? The key probably changes on a regular cycle, and there is no need for the Russians to be involved in such changes, the Iranians themselves would most likely handle that aspect of things. While the Russians may have supplied a lot of the IFF systems in Iran (or may not, I don't know) why would they be involved in day-to-day code changes?

And even if the Israelis had the IFF codes, IFF does not prevent primary radars (skin tracking radars, essentially all SAMs) from seeing targets, it only allows a primary radar to correlate a skin tracked target to a known, or unknown, aircraft.

And to top it all off, while Russia has provided a lot of the radar systems in Iran, Iran has also made great claims of indigenously developed systems, including HF and VHF radars (Sepehr, Nazir, and BSR-1, among others) specifically optimized to defeat the current state of LO technology. Even assuming disabling "codes" existed, why would Russian even have access to the "codes" to such radars?

Don't get me wrong, if the Israelis had the IFF codes that would be a huge plus for them. Enter the airspace from another direction, get pinged, get IDed as a friendly, and go about your business. If no one on the ground questioned why that aircraft was doing what it was then that is just too bad. But why would the Russians need to give the Israelis such a code? Surely the Israelis might have heard of SIGINT/ELINT/MASINT on their own? (Just in case someone missed that, that last sentence was sarcasm, take a look at the state of Israeli EW.)

And just for the record, I think any mention of Russians supplying "codes" is bunk. I also doubt the Israelis diddled with the IFF, although that is possible. It is far better to remain undetected than to advertise your position by spoofing someone elses IFF.

T!

Last edited:

Some good info, some dated some not true.

MC rates - what not shown is the accepted threshold. I'm seeing mid 60% for the F-35A. Considering its a new production aircraft that might me the accepted threshold. You'll always have some aircraft down for maintenance, mods or repairs and you never fly 100% of your fleet (except in war time).

Even in wartime, any air service will be hard-pressed to be at 100% strength due to various reasons.

But 60% is still a solid number.

From a defence position not political, I admit to getting a little nervous about some of the decisions President Trump is making. When Turkey is getting so close to Russia, to sell them the F35 could be a huge mistake. Russia would give almost anything to have access to an F35 just for a couple of days

Unfortunately, the previous administration opened the door for sales to Turkey back in 2011.

So now, seven years later, it's going to be a diplomatic can of worms, especially since the relationship between Turkey and the U.S. has changed a great deal.

So the questions that arise, are:
Does the U.S. continue sales to appease Erdogan?
Do they sell Turkey a dumbed-down F-35 platform?
Do they risk upsetting other nations like Saudi Arabia, Israel and several European nations by continuing sales to Turkey?
Or should they stop sales to Turkey altogether and further alienate Erdogan and push him further into Putin's fold?

It's really a diplomatic nightmare...

i certainly agree that there are no easy answers but at the end of the day security should come first. Should Russia get hold of the F35 and its secrets it would make the British decision to give Russia the latest jet engine in the late 1940s look like a minor hickup

Looks like sh!t is about to get real...

Mind you, I'm a hard-core A-10 fan from way-back, but the F-35 has the ability to scour the earth clean of anything that walks or crawls. So this should be interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread