some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A classic example is the time when a USN F4 Phantom of VF-14 launched with it's wings folded...
You reminded me of this website.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A military fighter jet on its way to an Air Force base in California crashed Tuesday near the international airport in New Mexico's largest city, sending up a large plume of smoke and injuring the pilot.

The pilot, the only person on board, was able to escape after crashing around 2 p.m. on a hillside on the south side of Albuquerque's airport and was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, according to the city's fire department.

U.S. manufacturer Lockheed Martin identified the downed plane as an F-35 that left Fort Worth, Texas, earlier Tuesday and was headed to Edwards Air Force Base near Los Angeles. A spokesperson for Lockheed said in an email to The Associated Press that the fighter jet crashed after the pilot stopped to refuel at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico.

Neither of the Air Force bases immediately responded to requests for more information.

You reminded me of this website.

In that link, scroll down to "How slow can you go?" for an excellent account of SR-71 flying.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A military fighter jet on its way to an Air Force base in California crashed Tuesday near the international airport in New Mexico's largest city, sending up a large plume of smoke and injuring the pilot. The pilot, the only person on board, was able to escape after crashing around 2 p.m. on a hillside on the south side of Albuquerque's airport and was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, according to the city's fire department.
I understand crashes happen, but they're a lot more expensive nowadays. 1944, write off your Spitfire via CFIT and the gov't is out about £8000, equal to about £300k (USD $377k) today. Ninety year later, write off your F-35 and the gov't is out about USD $90 million, equal to £1.9 million in 1944, which is a lot when an Illustrious class aircraft carrier cost £3.8 million. And then there's the replacement capacity. Lockheed-Martin can only make them so fast, and I assume the books are full of new orders, not counting for replacements. At least the F-35 pilot survived, as he's the priciest of all.

I expect here in Canada we won't have our first operational squadron of F-35s until the early-2030s. That'll be over fifty years since the CF-18 entered service in 1982. And lord help us when we CFIT or otherwise destroy one. We won't get another for years.

Last edited:
I understand crashes happen, but they're a lot more expensive nowadays. 1944, write off your Spitfire via CFIT and the gov't is out about £8000, equal to about £300k (equal to USD $377) today. Ninety year later, write off your F-35 and the gov't is out about USD $90 million.
But accidents are also less likely these days
At least the F-35 pilot survived, as he's the priciest of all.
She...I understand it was a female pilot
I expect here in Canada we won't have our first operational squadron of F-35s until the early-2030s. That'll be over fifty years since the CF-18 entered service in 1982. And lord help us when we CFIT or otherwise destroy one. We won't get another for years.
I understand the first RCAF F-35 is due in 2026. Not sure of exact IOC of first squadron though I believe it will be before the end of the decade as the CF-18s are due to cease operations in 2032.

In that link, scroll down to "How slow can you go?" for an excellent account of SR-71 flying.

You should check out some of their aviation stickers. I ordered this one:

SAC Policy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back