Something different for the backyard pilot - the "Breezy"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
breezy_631-feb08.jpg

Out in the Breezy | Flight Today | Air Space Magazine

i'll take one!! that is what flying is all about...back to the basics. you are going to only fly a few thousand feet above the ground and probably cruise 60-70 mph. if you auger in from more than 50-60 feet is really doesnt matter what you have around you...the result will not vary much. my homebuilt is an enclosed cockpit....whooptie do...i am surrounded by small pieces of spruce and some fabric. i do have a ballistic chute....but really it has limited use. i will most likely fly it to the ground than pop chute if at all possible.

I can appreciate the nostalgia and "keeping in touch with aviation's roots", however, if that technology were so much in vogue, why did they create the 747? :lol:

An example: I owned a 1919 Metz Express truck. This was a machine that was the high-point of automotive technology in it's day. However, driving it was a full time job and demanded every last bit of attention. It's top speed was nearly 50 miles an hour, and it suffered brake fade (leather-lined brake shoes only work for so long in an emergency), the fuel lever and points advance were on the steering column and it had a straight tie-rod steering linkage (meaning every bump or rut in the road threatened to tear the wheel out of your hands). Also keep in mind the expression "going at breakneck speeds" goes back to this time in automotive history because these vehicles were well known to toss it's occupants from the vehicle for a broad range of reasons.

The headlamps were calcium-carbide (add water, wait for the acetylene to build up and light with a match) and to start it, you switched on the magneto, checked the key on the end of the crank-start handle, inserted it into the crackshaft pulley slip socket and then positioned your self so that in the event of a kick-back, the handle would pop out of the socket and not whip back, breaking your arm/wrist/face/etc. Just going to the store was a huge effort (and often times, an adventure).

So while I truly enjoyed the nostalgia of early automobiling, I have come to appreciate (and take advantage of) modern day convenience and amenities! :thumbleft:

going to take a hell of a lot of breezy's to move the people and cargo a 747 does.....and a few more stops along the way ...average range is 250 miles...lol. i was exactly the opposite. i wanted all the new technology...bigger, better, faster. dont get me wrong i would take a mustang, a pitts special, yak 50 in a heart beat. but all the restrictions and regulations the FAA has in place makes me want to refind the roots of aviation where there is a lot more freedom. just think of if you have a car that goes over 60 mph, can carry more than one person, will travel more than 250 miles on a tank of gas, can be driven at night ....you would need an extensive and expensive medical exam yearly. not a big deal when you are young...but as you get older...high blood pressure and all the fun things of growning old set in...passing becomes more of a concern. and if you fail...you cannot drive at all and road to getting your license back is a royal PITA and costly. if that were the case i think you would see a ton more old vw beetles on the road...lol. and that is why you see more and more of these ultralight and sport aircraft...because that is the general aviation is like here in the states

Last edited:
I can see the appeal, and I might, just, consider a 'standard' microlight. But get me in/on that thing? Got more chance of finding Hitler's dog !
I doubt your chances as I ate that dog. It was labeled Sweet and Sour pork at the Chinese place. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back