South American Air Forces (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Argentine Navy purchased nine PBMs during the 1950s for the Argentine Naval Aviation, retiring its last Mariner in May 1962. In the first three that were purchased, 2-P-22 came out of New Orleans on January 20, 1955, commanded by Cap. J. Acha Martinez and co-pilot Lt. G. Sylvester. The 2-P-22 had problems with the left engine probably near Georgetown, British Guiana, so return to the NAS Trinidad. The engine was changed to Fleet Aircraft Service Squadron 115. On February 10, while the new engine ran, there was a flashback to what started a fire of fuel. The fire truck on the empty stage their foam before the fire had been contained and the plane was damaged beyond repair.

Attachments

• MartinMariner.jpg
    MartinMariner.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 230
  • MM1960CaletaZarPtoDeseadox10.jpg
    MM1960CaletaZarPtoDeseadox10.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 216
  • MM1960enPlanchadaCalZarx10.jpg
    MM1960enPlanchadaCalZarx10.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 224
  • MMariner.jpg
    MMariner.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 229
  • MMcradarx10.jpg
    MMcradarx10.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 227
More pics

Attachments

• MMPatrulla1959x10.jpg
    MMPatrulla1959x10.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 230
  • MMx4SobrevPtoBelgrx10.jpg
    MMx4SobrevPtoBelgrx10.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 226
  • TDD1.jpg
    TDD1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 223
Often overlooked is the Mexican Air Force 201st Fighter Squadron, flying with the USAAF in the Philippines in WWII.

There is a web site for the M.A.F. which give their history and has several photo's.

Of special interest to me is a photo of Sr. Sgt. Manuel Alcantar. I've read that prior to his M.A.F. service he made two WW II combat jumps with the US Army.

His seems to be a very impressive story and I would like to know more about him. If anyone provide more information I would appreciate it.

Hi Everybody !

I am currently in Brazil (SP) for work purpose.
I'll stay here for one year, and I was wondering if any of you got some good adress to see WWII aircraft in Brazil.
I already booked the TAM museum and a smaller one.
But I was looking for place with planes used as runabout ( not sure if this is the right word for french : "rond point" ) decoration on roads or so.
A police guy told me about a T-6 exposed in a park in south of SP.

If any of you got a suggestion, I'll post pictures on rhe forum :)

thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back