"Soviet Airwoman of the Great Patriotic War" by Gian Piero Milanetti

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vikingBerserker

Lieutenant General
Apr 10, 2009
South Carolina
Soviet Airwoman of the Great Patriotic War
By Gian Piero Milanetti
IBN, 2013
ISBN 978-8-8756-5146-6

9788875651466_SovietAirWomen_med.jpg

Having my interest in Soviet Combat pilots of WW2 wetted by Bruce Myles' Night Witches: The Amazing Story Of Russia's Women Pilots in World War II I had purchased Bill Yenne's The White Rose of Stalingrad: The Real-Life Adventure of Lidiya Vladimirovna Litvyak, the Highest Scoring Female Air Ace of All Time – a book which quite frankly was horrid.

During my continued search I happened to come across Milanetti's book Soviet Airwomen that had a couple of favorable reviews and I went in search of. Six months later I finally acquired a copy of this book from a small bookshop in the UK and received it this week.

The first thing I have to point out as I did not realize when I bought it is this is a pictorial history of the Soviet Airwoman in fact it even states so on the cover (ADHD Powers, Activate!). This actually threw me for a loop and was briefly disappointed at my gaffe but I'd already bought the book so I continued to read it. I was not disappointed by any means.

The book is 248 pages long divided into 15 sections and contains more pictures of the female pilots, air crew and ground crew then I have seen from all other sources combined (slightly more than 500 to be exact). Most of the pictures have just a paragraph or two but combined give a good overall history of the Airwomen. There also a couple of sections with more verbiage but the pictures alone made this book worthwhile.

I have to rate it at 8 Fedkas.

Women also fulfilled many other roles on the battlefield on the Soviet side during WW2, if I remember correctly there was even a Guards tank commander that was a female officer :)

I would like to recommend, "Wings, Women War" by Reina Pennington. It covers all the Soviet women in the day and night bomber regiments and the fighter regiments. There is a chapter on women aviators before the war and after. Another chapter covers recruitment and training of the women. There were many that also flew in mostly male units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back