Spinner Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JCS

Senior Airman
Jul 15, 2004
Nicholson, PA
Anybody know the purpose of those little fan blade-like things on the front of the spinner?

Attachments

• fw189.jpg
    fw189.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 863
JCS said:
Anybody know the purpose of those little fan blade-like things on the front of the spinner?

It was an airflow driven electrical generator for cocpit instruments.

That " fan-like thingie" is part of the variable-pitch mechanism for the propellers. It uses air resistance to control the RPM by changing the pitch of the blades.

R pope is correct. It is a funky setup to control to pitch of the blades based on the air passing over the spinner.

From another message board, "the little spinner in the picture above is mounted on a free-turning bearing and is of a known, fixed pitch. When the aircraft is stopped, the little prop on the front is not spinning, and the propeller is in fine pitch. As the airspeed rises, the little prop starts turning and the pitch begins to get more coarse by means of a cam. There is a design speed for the prop and, as long as you don't exceed design speed and power rating, the unit above results in a more-or-less constant speed propeller without the complexity of a pitch control knob in the cockpit."

Kind of a dynamic pitch control mechanism.

R Pope said:
That " fan-like thingie" is part of the variable-pitch mechanism for the propellers. It uses air resistance to control the RPM by changing the pitch of the blades.

That may be true - for some reason I was thinking about the one on the nose of the 163 rocket plane. :oops:

If you look close, you'll see that the hub blades have zero pitch. They drag back when the prop turns, activating the above-mentioned cam arrangement and coarsening the pitch of the prop. Many early constant-speed props used similar setups.

wmaxt said:
R Pope said:

That may be true - for some reason I was thinking about the one on the nose of the 163 rocket plane. :oops:

Isnt that a small propellor though? :lol:

cheddar cheese said:
wmaxt said:
R Pope said:

Isnt that a small propellor though? :lol:

Yup, many of the early pitch adjusters were just counter weights on the hub. The P-38 had Curtis electric prop controls, they were a problem early on (runaways and flat pitch when an engine was out - not good) until a second generator was installed.

R Pope said:

one oter thing why he's right, why would anyone put the generator in such a "unsave" position (u know, where it depends on the wind and stuff) while you can connect it directly to the engine, so you can be shure its always turning.
and the me 163 only has that generator in the nose, cuz i has no engine, at least none with turning parts ;)

You are both right....on the FW 189 you see the drive of the variable-blade-pitch-mechanism and on the Me 163 you see the propeller of the electrical power generator !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back