Spit MkI airfix or tamiya?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
I know it's all kinda subliminal, but which is the most accurate, or has the best PE and detail sets?? Is there another mnfr kit with these parts available? Cheers, Bill

Don't know about the Airfix kit but you usually can't go wrong with Tamiya. Airfix can be pretty dodgy.

Google each, including the scale and "kit review" and you should get some decent info.

The current Airfix 1/48th scale Mk1 is very good indeed, more like their 'old' good kits! For the relatively small amount of extra cash though, I think I'd probably go with the Tamiya kit. The Airfix kit does not have PE, and, AFAIK, neither does the Tamiya, though there are a number of resin and PE accessory kits on the market which should suit both.

Thanks Air and Crim, hehe, I think the Tamiya may be the ticket. I want to do one with markings of the training squadron in Mildura NSW. If anyone is traveling in NSW and happen to be in the Wagga Wagga area, Mildura is a must, not a big museum, but it has loads of very interesting stuff. Thanks again for your feedback. Cheers Bill

On looking back at the crash records from Mildura looks like most were MKV's, P-40E, Mustangs and CAC built aircraft. I will have to look into it further. Not sure which Spits were assigned to Darwin during the air raid period by the Japanese. And I will have to finish my MK22, which is just getting underway, and may take months if this cockpit is any indication. Got caught up in multiple builds years ago, never finished anything. On my list is a P-51B, the MK in question, and Corsair. If I live long enough! Thanks for the replies. Cheers, Bill

Sounds like some interesting stuff you've got going. There was a good article in a magazine here in the UK a couple of months back, with colour profiles, of the first Spits sent to Oz. Let me know if you want some scans of it. Far as I remember, they were mainly MkV's, and I don't remember a Mk1 being preserved there. Could be wrong of course!
If you go for a MkV, then again the Tamiya kit, although the current Airfix MkVc is a very good, cheaper alternative.
Terry.

The Tamiya kit was the first WW2 vintage kit I built from that company. I remember I bought the first one that my local hobby store got. It was one of the easiest builds I have ever done. Shook the box, opened it and the plane was built. :lol:

I remember discussions at the time amoung our modelling group member, and the concensus was that it was quite accurate.

Thanks for the replies. NA, I think I may try shaking the box as well. BTW, NA73 is a prototype? yes? I just like the shape of the A B models for some reason. Working on my MK-22 today. Read someone say it didn't have a floor, so I cut out the floor bits!I took a picture, but am stimied as to how to place it in here.... cheers, Bill

I think I can do this. I read up on adding an image. So, here is my MK-22 "floorless" floor, Eduard kit.

Attachments

• c-pit floor.jpg
    c-pit floor.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 169
Should be nice when done, as the basic kit is very good on its own. I've had one sitting waiting to be built for about ten years now! I read an article on the Eduard version, where a couple of fit issues wee mentioned, I think involving the engine bulkhead. If I still have the article, I'll check and psot relevant details.

Airframe I would appreciate all the colour info I can get. Just started painting today, cockpit sides, floor, etc. found some colour pics of the real thing, inside the pit. So will use these for ref for black, red and yellow stuff. But the outside camo Tamiya coulours to use have me stimied. I may start a thread of Models in progress of this one for comments. I cut out more of the "floor" extending up the sidewalls. I am putting a very thin sheet of styrene under this to be farther down the pit to show the airframe of the cockpit, hope it works. Your article would be great. Cheers, Bill

No probs mate. My neighbour has the magazine at the moment, as he's reading another article in it. I'll get it back in a couple of days and scan the relevant stuff. If you PM me an e-mail address I'll get it off to you - don't want to post it here due to copyright etc. I think there's also a link for a free download for decals (to print yourself) for all the schemes illustrated.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back