Spitfire from Texas

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Probably half of the people in here would be ... and the other half wished they could be.

I'd LOVE to fly a Spitfire and a stock warbird, but I'd also love to make an XP-40Q from parts ... not a complete airframe.

I actually think I would recover and rebuild an aircraft that does not exist today like the He 177, Me 323, Martin 166 etc etc.

He has a couple of hangars full of warbirds that have never before been for sale or showed publically. There's more than just the Ha.1112's and the Spitfire around that area, but since he let almost nobody INTO the hangars, there's no telling WHAT is there. I've heard he has about as many spare engines as anyone around, but only have spoken to people who said thay couldn't elaborate in good faith. They DID allow as how he has a pretty good stash if he ever decides to move the items.

It isn't just Buchons ... but that is only the rumor mill talking. If he's starting to sell, he's only interested in serious buyers ... really.

People who want to look will likely not be welcome unless you are already a friend of the family.

I CAN say that that assumption that these are in decent shape is correct. Decent as far as correct storage goes. There's probably no water or dirt in the engines and the airframes, though flown in service, are probably as straight as a serviceable plane needs to be. There is a lot of effort there to go fly again, but less than a recovered unit that has sat outdoors for years on a ramp or in the desert or jungle uncared for.

Last edited:
The picture of the 109 has a cowling shape and four blade props I've never seen before ?

I know somewhere on this site the full article about the planes this guy had in his barn was posted, but I just couldn't find it, so I thought I'd update it here. All of the expensive planes have been sold. For the original BoB Spitfire, the 6 Buchons, and the P-51, he got over $15 million. He did not sell the 2 PBY's, the Albatross, or the Mallard. The Spitfire is going back to England, the Buchons will be rebuild in Europe, and the Mustang will be restored in the U.S.

What the article didn't say is what he did with all the parts and scores of engines. Anyone know?

The guy is Connie Edwards, one of the founding members of the Confederate Air Force that became the Commerative Air Force. Had the original guys known, they would have stipulated the bame never be changed or the planes would have goine back to the families ... but they didn't know.

I DO believe he has a Hurricane or two in there somewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised to fins out he had another German type or two on his ranch, along with some Allied types that have been sitting for 3 - 4 decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back