Spitfire Mk.I-a and Stuka at Chicago's Museum of Science Industry

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When so much is known about this airframe, why does the museum have it painted in totally spurious markings? I would have thought DG/DE/Sky with the 74 Sqn codes it wore during the BoB would have been far more appropriate. I understand the costs involved but still...

For the record, I have the same gripe about the Spit hanging from the rafters in the IWM in London. Another early Spit wearing late-war camo and markings. Just looks WRONG!!!

Sorry. Rant off.

Just spotted this thread. Great pics Glenn!
The Spit appears to be in it's 'end of service' paint scheme, correct for that period, and it looks like the paint a few years back was original, although in your most recent pics, it's probably been re-painted. Note that at sometime in it's life it has been fitted with a bulged canopy, as the original would have been flat-sided, with a knock out panel on the port side.
It's a shame that the re-paint wasn't done in the 74 Sqn BoB scheme though.
I hadn't realised there was another complete Ju87 extant - thought there was only the complete Ju87D in the RAF Museum, plus the bulk of one in Germany. Great to see it, especially a relatively early variant.

It's the same paint in both sets of pics Terry. I think it looks different due to several reasons. The earlier pics were taken with my 35mm film camera and than the prints scanned. The plane was also in a different wing of the museum at the time and the lighting could have been different. I believe that is the paint it had when it came here in Aug. '44

The story behind the Stuka was on the plaque, but I didn't take a picture if it. From memory I believe it was shot down in north Africa. It looks like there is damage on the left side of the fuselage forward of the cockpit and underneath on the left wing and fuselage. I'll have to take a pic of the plaque the next time I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back