Spitfire MKII iphone 4 case. :P

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
Okay, first of all I know this is not the right place to post this, however I used pretty much all the paint and decals from kits that I build. Plus I think you guys will get a kick out of it.

Behold, my latest mad scientist project. The Spitfire MK II Iphone4 phone case.

Case3 100.jpg
Case4 100.jpg
Case72.jpg

Primer: Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover plastic Primer.

Paint: Model Master Enamel colors, RAF Dark Earth, RAF Dark Green, And Duck Egg Blue with some white and a drop of light gull grey to try to make it RAF Sky Blue.

Decals: From a 1:48 scale Revell MKII Spitfire kit.

Gloss protective coats: Rust-Oleum Triple Thick Glaze.

I used a scribe to etch in the panel lines and rivets, I darkened them with a black colored pencil (it jumped off and made that unsightly mark on the top left of the case.)

This is more of a prototype. This will be tested to see how well and how long the glaze once fully dried, will protect the paint and decals.

I'll give it about a good week to dry, then I will start using it. I will post pics of the case after a week of use, then a month of use.

If this glaze doesn't protect the decals, then nothing will. 4 coats of that glaze and it's darn near a millimeter thick.

Nice one! A few years ago, I decorated a friend's 'phone in Ferrari F1 colours. When her friends, and other F1 fans saw it, they all wanted one.
You could be on to something here, with a range of various aircraft colour schemes !

It's only a great idea if the gloss coat protects everything. The textured ends of the case will be scraped off because the paint won't adhere to rubber. Masking tape wont stick to it to even mask it. This glaze may keep it on, who knows.

You can also do this with a clear case and paint it from the inside. You just paint it in reverse like you would a RC car body.

I'm not sure if metallic paint will work though, perhaps if toy do the clear case, reverse method.

You guys are expert scale model builders, you can easily make this, probably a lot nicer. The time it takes to completely build a kit you can make 20 of these.

It's a perfect flat surface. Easy to mask, paint, and decal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back