Spitfire Wings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Just looking ahead to the Nose-art GB. I'm planning to use these decals for an RCAF Spitfire but the decal sheet doesn't mention the wing style. I've confirmed the top two are C wings. Is the bottom option a B wing and if so, is there a 1/48 model with this wing style?

004.JPG

Geo

If it's a MkIX, then it's probably the same as the others. However, the drawing of the wing shows it as the MkVb would look. You need to identify the mark first.
The MkIX would be either 'C' wing or 'E' wing. Although early MkIXs were often referred to, by pilots and ground crew, as 'MkIXb', they were in fact fitted with the 'C' wing.
Without checking to make sure, the serial number looks like a MkV block, in which case it's a MkVb, but using the fuselage profile of a MkIX, unless it's an example with the later engine and six stack exhausts?

Geo, the two pics I have of Lorne Cameron's rig confirm it's a IX but they unfortunately don't show the cannon details. However, an artist's rendition of AE-W in "Spitfire II The Canadians" by Robert Bracken shows the outer cannon fairing removed and flush with the wing leading edge like in your plan view.

ICM's Spit IX carries a full selection of wing variations and cannon bulges. The detail, if correct is easilly achieved by removing the outer cannon stub. I used this kit and your decal sheet (though I made AE-B) in my Spitfire IX build here:http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/8-commonwealth-night-fighter/done-1-48-icm-spitfire-mk-ix-ae-b-ian-keltie-402-sqdn-rcaf-commonwealth-gb-26812.html

Last edited:
That 3rd option sure looks like a B-wing to me.

How come the Mk.IXb designation if C-wings Terry? 485 (NZ) Sqns first batch of IXs were 'Mk.IXb's -glad I didn't do the wing mod if you're right!

That explains that then!
Geo, all the ICM Spitfire kits are the same basic kit, just different decals, so any would do (apart from low-back MkXVI of course), so yes, that's the right kit.

Evan, there wasn't a Spitfire MkIXb as such. Because it was the first cannon-armed Spit after the MkV, and cannon armed MkII and MkV were know as 'B's, it was called the MkIXb by pilots and ground crew, and even sometimes recorded as such on official documents. It was in fact originally fitted with the 'C' wing - two cannon and four browning MGs.
I actually fell foul of this description about 25 years ago, when I converted a Hasegawa 1/32nd scale MkV into a 485 (NZ) Sqn aircraft, going off info describing the aircraft as MkIXb, including mention in Johnnie Houlton's book, and presuming the first ones had the 'B' wing. I therefore left the MkV type bulges in place, and altered the cannon and, of course, the rest of the airframe!
You can use a kit with a normal 'C' wing, or alter a 'E' wing if stuck, but it was definitely not the wing and bulges as seen on the MkVb.

Good stuff Terry. So if I understand correctly, if I leave off the outer stub, I can build the version I have marked "B?". Also, what would be needed to convert an "E" to a "C" wing? As I was going through my stash I found an ICM Mk.IXe that I forgot about.

Geo

For the 'E' wing, swap the positions of the cannon and the stub fairing, with the 'stub' flattened at the end, for the browning .50 cal. The .303 gun ports and access hatches should also be filled. Check references for the actual aircraft, to see which cannon cover bulges were fitted - alternative styles are available in all the ICM kits - early 'E' wings had similar bulges as the 'C', and later style was either the narrow, long blister, or the broad 'flat' blister.
It's often hard to determine which aircraft had which blister, so if in doubt I tend to use whichever fits over the position of the cannon. The main thing is eliminating the unwanted gin ports/hatches, and the position of the cannon and 'stubs'.

Outstanding Terry and Andy. Swap the cannon, fill some holes, open some holes, something the likes of me should be able to do. I also read your GB last night Andy. A tad frightening at times but I should be able to cope.

Geo

Yeah, the ICM kits are fussy but make a nice model in the end. Plastic is quite soft so go easy with the file.

Sorry Geo, I misread your post, and replied as if making the 'E' wing, but I'm sure you've got the idea now. I agree with Andy re the ICM kit; it can be a tad tricky in parts, but nothing major. Until the new Eduard kit was released, it was the best Spit MkIX in 1/48th scale.
Unless you intend to display the engine, it's probably best to leave it out, and adjust as per Andy's build, and mine, as fitting the engine cowls with the engine in place could be a bit of a chore - and of course, why fir an engine if it's going to be permanently covered up?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back