Spitfires Found!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I really hope that these aeroplanes are in, as good condition, as people seem to think they are...I wonder if, "someone", has dug up a, "test fighter", to ensure quality? (On the Q.T. of course)

I really hope these crates do exist and that they contain Spits but I very much doubt after all these years that they are going to be in good condition. They were being dumped why would the RAF bother doing anything to ensure they were preserved, I can easily imagine a bulldozer digging a scrape hole pushing the crates in and covering the crates up. A quick and dirty job and the remains are probably a jumble of smashed crates and aluminium scrap. Plus if the locals knew they were there then it would have been a free aluminium mine.

I really hope that something gets to fly as a result of this but the fevered imaginations of crates being dug up Spits pulled out the wings put on and a quick polish before they fly is not going to happen I reckon.

I too hope that at least some are usable. Earlier reports suggest that the airframes were 'wrapped' in oiled paper or oilskin, inside the crates, and apparently this has been verified during an exploratory search.
Let's hope the reports are right.
Even if the worst case scenario is discovered, there should at least be enough to preserve some airframes for static display, if nothing else.
Now, how many can I get if I win the Big One .......

Now, how many can I get if I win the Big One .......

Mate, the rate at which these Spitties are reproducing underground in their crates...started of as 14, then 60 ,then 140, then 160 + !!!!, I reckon they'll be giving them away with petrol coupons before much longer :)

Mate, the rate at which these Spitties are reproducing underground in their crates...started of as 14, then 60 ,then 140, then 160 + !!!!, I reckon they'll be giving them away with petrol coupons before much longer :)

:lol:

I will clear a space in my shed ready then, I reckon I could squeeze 2 in if I get rid of all that useless stuff like the washing machine the deep freeze the garden furniture and the car.

:lol:

I will clear a space in my shed ready then, I reckon I could squeeze 2 in if I get rid of all that useless stuff like the washing machine the deep freeze the garden furniture and the car.

Now you're talking...proper man-cave contents. We'll overlook the washing machine and stuff this time :)

Yeah, I mean, what would you rather have - a washing machine, or a Spit XIV? What a silly question .......
And just think, if, say, 100 Spitfires suddenly come on the market, then the price must fall.... now, will my landlord object if I knock a hole in the back wall, move a few interior walls, widen the street and .....

If I understand it correctly (?) the Japanese surrender had left substantial Japanese forces still at large. The airfield building engineers had been kindly supplied by the Americans, hence they did the burying. The idea was to bury these newly delivered Spitfires in a condition to allow them to be retrieved and used should the Japanese decide to continue fighting in Malaya and the Burmese border. Given that a Spitfire ditched in wartime off Calais has now been restored, these should be in much better shape.

The Burmese must be a bit annoyed that they were sold Spitfires after the war and not told that they had plenty of their own in boxes underground. Maybe that is why the paper trail is a little lacking?

Should this thread not be in the 'Spitfires Found!' thread?

P.S. I think my barn is big enough.............

Last edited:
I'm still sceptical. I'll happily be proven wrong but this really is a case where seeing will be believing.

Steve

LOL...a few of these articles make it sound as if, a screwdriver and a can of Aerofuel, is all that is required, to get one of these babys in the air.

Seeing is believing as has already been said, I do hope that it's all true though...hmmmm....should be able to take off and land on the main street, should be at work in less than.....heck, will take longer to get the landing gear up!

Now, how about some Dora's TA's, Horten 229's etc., etc.. 8)

I have Avro Arrow RL 205,a Lancaster MKIII and a WW1 Gotha IV all buried in my backyard. Oh I almost forgot,The old man living in my basement is Adolf Hitler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back