Spitfires Found!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

from what i initially read...they drilled down and snaked a camera down into one of the crates. that is how they are determining the condition. they were supposedly the crates were never opened and the ac are still in the preserving media ( oil paper, cosmoline, ?? )they were shipped....

Quite simply, there are so many stories, it's impossible to know what (or who) to believe, and, as an added nuisance, we're up to our armpits in naysayers (some quite vicious in what they're saying,) who're desperate for there to be nothing.
I can't understand it, since they'll get maybe a couple of days, crowing "I told you so," then nothing, while, if there are viable airframes there, thousands will be able to enjoy them, for years to come.
Digging is supposed to start mid-January (ish,) which is about 6-7 weeks, so is it really that hard to wait that long?

Last edited:
Quite simply, there are so many stories, it's impossible to know what (or who) to believe, and, as an added nuisance, we're up to our armpits in naysayers (some quite vicious in what they're saying,) who're desperate for there to be nothing.
I can't understand it, since they'll get maybe a couple of days, crowing "I told you so," then nothing, while, if there are viable airframes there, thousands will be able to enjoy them, for years to come.
Digging is supposed to start mid-January (ish,) which is about 6-7 weeks, so is it really that hard to wait that long?

In my 35 years in aviation I've heard dozens of these stories. A guy in California was supposed to have 2 crated Spitfires and a Hurricane stashed in a hangar, that was in the early 1990s. Other crated WW2 aircraft in storage at Long Beach harbor (1970s). And always the one in the widow's barn. I have a 20 to 1 rule - for evey 20 of these stories, one of them really turns out true. As stated earlier, I'll believe it when I see it, but I do raise questions when someone says a snaked camera was inserted insdie a crate and that these aircraft are said to be in "prestine" condition. Why no pics? I'd love to see this to be true, but at the same time, I'm not holding my breath.

Therein lies the problem; it isn't the same man saying these things. The leader of the project wasn't there when the camera(s?) went down, but has said that a light didn't accompany it, so anyone saying they're pristine is guessing. All we've seen is (one) scan of one small area, which shows some sort of magnetic anomaly, which experts have said looks hopeful.

There are all sorts of things out there...I'm always looking for 'missing' classic motorbikes and cars to buy. I word I would use to describe many of my experiences so far at least is 'disappointment' as the 'find' is not what I expected....but, I live in hope.
Like Joe, I would love to see a stash of Spitfires discovered. We shall see.
Cheers
John

I keep recalling that '57 Plymouth that was buried as a time capsule with all the care they knew how to bestow, and when it was dug up a few years ago it was a rusted out pile of junk. Even if these planes are really there, what are the chances of them being any good after 70 years burial in a rain forest?

Spitfires were made from different material (mostly) - aluminium. No rusting there, at least not as it's expected for iron/steel.

Anyway, for the Spitfires - seeing is believing.

I've got three shovels and a pick....someone buys me a ticket over there, i'll bring the tools, and add to the local economy by hiring workers to operate them. :) (It's not that I'm lazy....I just don't like to do anything).

If they are there, the state their in is not that important.... Remember Glacier Girl?

Glacier Girl-1.jpg

That's for sure.
This

calaishoverportS.gif

Was changed into this

06.gif

P 9374 which I got a good look at recently.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back