SPRAY OR BRUSH

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi Guys and Girls

I have been thinking over weather to go for a spray gun kit or stick to the brush:?:. As i have seen some master pieces on here with spray gun.I have seen a spray gun kit with 2 bottles, the head,hose,spanner and canister thing ( that attaches to the canister ) for £ 3.99 plus £2.45 p&p.

Also could you use enamel's thinned down in the spray gun.:oops:

I've recently bought an airbrush and compressor myself Keith, but that said I've seen some excellent models painted with brush alone. I think to get that amazing look an airbrush would be essential.

I'll let Wojtek, Wayne and Ron give you the good advice though! :D

Hi Keth. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the particular one you've seen, as it is more than likely a small spray gun, rather than an airbrush. Humbrol and Badger used to produce similar units. There's nothing wrong with these, but they are designed to cover larger areas, where a full-sized commercial spray gun would be too big, if you get my meaning! It will spray fine, but the coverage will be around 2 inches or more across (50mm), and you will not be able to adjust down to a finer spray pattern. This type is ideal for achieving an even, smooth finish on, for example flying models, but not paricularly suitable, overall, for the scales you will work with.
I mentioned in Trackend's 'Wellington' post about a source for inexpensive airbrushes, and a good starting point is the Badger 350, which will look similar (probably) to the one you have seen, but, depending on the nozzle fitted, will go down to about 4mm width spray pattern. Model Hobbies do a copy of this, which is fine, for around £7 I believe, and it can be used with propellant cans. An inexpensive, simple compressor, will cost you about £40, and will be more than adequate for your needs.
However, call me 'old school', but I believe in being able to walk before you can run, and think that being able to master the use of paints with a brush is a better 'education' when it comes to painting models. This helps to understand paint and how it behaves, and it doesn't take that long, with practice, to achieve various effects. The limitations are few, and it's only really when trying to achieve, for instance, mottle camouflage on Luftwaffe types, and some 'special effects', that the good old paint brush becomes really limited in its abilities.
I recently wrote a simple brush-painting guide for Karl, and Igor (Imalko) has asked if he can have a copy. I'm currently doing a bit of 'tidying' on this, and will be posting it, in PDF form, hopefully later this week. This might give you some pointers on how to achieve good results with a brush.

No probs mate. If by any chance it isn't there anymore, let me know, and I'll find the actual company who supply them to MH. If you 'phone them, they can tell you which nozzle is fitted - it'll either be Medium of Fine. The Medium is ok for most jobs, but limited for mottles and, for a really good job, you'd be better off paying a bit more, and getting a fine-line capable 'brush. Again, I can let you have details if you want them.

Hi Terry

this is on at £8.64 without p&p it's a Mantura 350:?: :oops: as i have no idea what is good or bad:oops:
Mantua 350 Air Brush.jpg

That's the one Keith. Looks like the price has increased a couple of quid. Mantua Models are the supplier, and they will deal direct. If you send them an e-mail, or call, they'll tell you which nozzle it is. The 'brush is a direct copy of the Badger 350, which is adequate for most jobs with the 'Fine' nozzle, I used one for almost twenty years until recently, and with cans!
It is pushing it a bit to do a Luftwaffe mottle in 1/48th scale though.
I know you're in a similar position to me, re DLA etc, but if you can save a bit, maybe ask relatives to contribute for birthday or early Christmas prezzies, it'll be worth paying a bit more and getting the realtively inexpensive type I bought recently.
It's a dual action, very fine line brush, all metal construction, and is a joy to use, and easy to clean. I spent a long time looking at various 'brushes, deciding what to go for, and I have to admit, for the price, I have absolutely no complaints.
If you'd like more details, drop me a PM, and I'll sort it.

Airbrushes can work wonders Keith, but don't let the brush get away from you, you're an artist.. not a trigger puller! :)

Most of my swordfish was brush painted so don,t write the brush off just yet but iwould say save a bit and get a good quality airbrush they do come in handy.BB

Both the brush and the airbrush have different applications, produce different results and work in different ways. Just remember that and don't be afraid to experiment with all sorts of applications and equipment.

I've only done 3 models with my Airbrush and could not live without it now. Probably the one thing that blew me away and I was not expecting was that the paint goes on so much thinner and shows a lot more detail.

Also makes you a better modeller in that because it goes on so thin, you really have to work your prep before you paint, because EVERYTHING shows up! (Little scratches, sand paper scouring, excess glue....)

Yeah Ellis, I always find the "spot" on the trigger i'm looking for on cardboard then move it to the model. Also, sometimes paint splotches jump out of the tip so if you start on cardboard it gets them out of the way (Always clean the tip, frequently!!)

thanks Maglar

its early days yet ( seriously thinking it over ) to buy a air brush

Both the brush and the airbrush have different applications, produce different results and work in different ways. Just remember that and don't be afraid to experiment with all sorts of applications and equipment.

I've only done 3 models with my Airbrush and could not live without it now. Probably the one thing that blew me away and I was not expecting was that the paint goes on so much thinner and shows a lot more detail.

Also makes you a better modeller in that because it goes on so thin, you really have to work your prep before you paint, because EVERYTHING shows up! (Little scratches, sand paper scouring, excess glue....)

That's what surprised me too Crunch, the detail's so much more crisp!

Well keith, I would say buy one. Its like if you really like playing golf you go out and buy a nice club set instead of using the rentals. An airbrush will step up your modeling game, you could possibly shoot par! :lol::D

your wright Maglar :?:

it would improve my golf ( if i still played the game. Enjoyed it only ever scored 1 single par at my local golf course, which is less than a mile away. when i played the game yrs ago ):lol::lol::lol:. All i want to do is improve my skill with paints, models etc. as i don't play golf, or go shooting or sea fishing no more due to the fu###ng arthritis :evil: :evil:

I was making a comparison basically saying if you like modeling go buy an airbrush to improve your models and enjoy it even more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back