SPRAY OR BRUSH

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi all

Decided against buying a airbrush for now:( due to this credit crunch.

So it is on the back burner for now :!:

For me I still brush paint and its more of choice for me at the moment. I enjoy brush painting the small details ie dry brushing and find that the most rewarding part of this great hobby. I use spray cans as well if I can get the right colour or for larger bombers.
Luckily my old man is an artist so I've got some of his retired brushes sable etc...A touch of thinners and the paint can go on stroke free almost.

Mind you airbrush is always going to do a better job but when you're tight for time like myself a quick dash of paint over a model and quick clean makes it very appealing.

Cheers.

Never used an airbrush so its just the brush for me. Over the years I've developed some techniques and truth be told, really have no itching to go mechanical. Its a challemge of trying to create some difficult camo with the least of tools that intriques me.

I'm only estimating, but I think more than 90% of my models have been painted with a paint brush, including the clear finishing coat. Some have been a mixture of brush and airbrush, the latter mainly for the clear coat again, and a couple for mottles. It's only since I got my current airbrush, and a compressor, the former about 3 or 4 months ago, that I've started airbrushing more, but even then, it's still a mix of the two. And I always use a paint brush for the individual parts, detail parts and interiors etc.
It still amuses me that everyone, or so it appears, seems to think that an airbrush is a 'must have' tool. OK, I agree, it is a superb tool, and I'm really pleased I finally got a decent , fine line jobby,and especially pleased that I got myself a compressor, but I firmly believe that the 'hairy' brush should be mastered first, even if only to understand how paint works, and how to achieve different effects.

I agree with Njaco.I've always used the brush and the challenges of some of the camuflage schemes are intriging.
Ed

My 1/72 Corsair I posted back a few was brush painted, all it needed was a gloss cote for everyone to think I airbrushed it. I use the airbrush for zinc chromate, primary and camo colors. I brush paint interior details, the wheels, the tips on the props, and sometimes some dry brush, As some of you guys have already said, there is a way to hide stroke marks and the fact it was brushed. I hate using brushes over large areas, such room for error!

I stick to the brush for figure painting, that is an art to itself and isnt airbrush worthy. Well ok I did airbrush Alclad for my legionaries armor once but I wanted to make it look real good. Past that all brush and no rush!! :D

I used a brush for years and other techniques to simulate soft demarkations. I got my first airbrush at 14 and haven't looked back. It puts the paint on in a thin, scale appearance, leaves no brush marks and where weathering comes into play is the better tool. No doubt there's a learning curve but learning is something I've never had a problem challenging myself with.

There are two styles of airbrush. One is a single action brush where the paint flow is set with a needle valve orifice between the reservoir and the air nozzle. The air flow is initiated by pressing a button on top of the body. It is also adjustable with a max/min adjustment screw that limits the throw of the air button. This is a very good learners and all-around airbrush because the paint and air have hard settings which, if not properly controlled, can muck up a paint job quickly. The other type of airbrush is a double-action brush where the air and paint flows are controlled with a single button on top of the brush. Pressing down the button allows air flow from zero to maximum and is controlled only by the operator's experienced touch. Pulling backwards on the same button allows paint to flow and, again, the amount of backward deflection decides how much paint will flow from zero to maximum via an experienced operator. It is a much more difficult airbrush to master. I have both and, truth be told, I prefer the single-action brush for scale model work.

The thing to learn before any airbrush is touched is the thinning of the paint to a thick wash. Most using a paint brush will thin to a flowable but opaque consistency. This means a wide, soft brush will finish one color in one coat. That's too thick. Probably half that consistency will be too thick. These model paints dry before the paint can lay flat leaving unwanted brush marks. Thinning to a thick wash will probably require two passes with the airbrush to get an opaque finish but it will be smooth and have a better scale appearance.

I see many models where the paint was not properly thinned before airbrushing. This causes the paint to spit out of the nozzle in micro drops leaving a textured effect on the model called stippling. In other airbrushed art applications stippling might be a desired effect but not on scale models. It is very important to thin the paint to a dilution that flows very easily and uniformly from the nozzle of the airbrush. Thinned out to a wash certain colors like a light sand and white can be misted on in gradations that simulate weathering without the need for chalk pastel. Other colors can also be washed such as flat black for the base color of exhaust stains then over-sprayed with gradations of light blue/gray for the tetra-ethyl lead stain appearance atop the black. This simply cannot be duplicated with a paint brush convincingly. I tried using spray cans with masks, etc, but the airbrush is king for that kind of detail.

Hi guy's and girls

just bit the bullet and bought this double action airbrush kit for £25 plus a tin of air or whatever it's called

machine mart.jpg

Hi Wojtek

it says 0.3 on the case it came in.

all so says sprays from 1/32 to 1 1/2 inches

all i got to do now is buy a compressor for it

Hi Ellis! I wouldn't bother with the particular one you've seen, as it is more than likely a small spray gun, rather than an airbrush. Humbrol and Badger used to produce similar units. There's nothing wrong with these, but they are designed to cover larger areas, where a full-sized commercial spray gun would be too big, if you get my meaning! It will spray fine, but the coverage will be around 2 inches or more across (50mm), and you will not be able to adjust down to a finer spray pattern. This type is ideal for achieving an even, smooth finish on, for example flying models, but not paricularly suitable, overall, for the scales you will work with.

Looks like lee112 has directly quoted my first post to Keith, about the copy of the Badger 350 - type 'brush. Presumably trying to sell something, but Keith's already got a great deal with a fine-line brush now!

Thanks Terry

Got to wait another month now to get the thinners? cleaners etc as i am now spent up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back