Spray/Paint Booth

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
Anyone build and use thier own homebuilt spray booth to paint thier models?
Am still working on starting up on model building again, but cannot paint in the house during the winter months. I am also a el-cheapo and cannot bring myself to spend $200-$400 dollars on a commercial spray booth.

Buck: I made my own paint spray booth, and it didn't cost me a dime. I
got a large cardboard box and cut the front and half the side off of it.
Works great... even gives you a place to test the spray. When it get's
old, get another box. You want pic's ? I paint on the garage floor or a
table in the garage......

Charles

Sure sned pics. I am looking to add some sort of filtering and fan/blower system with a hose that goes out the window so I can divert any fumes out the window in the winter months. I did manage to find a couple nice links on Google of others that have build these, ranged from pretty simple and cheap to pretty elaborate and expensive. Looking for something in between in cost but functional.

Sure send pics. I am looking to add some sort of filtering and fan/blower system with a hose that goes out the window so I can divert any fumes out the window in the winter months. I did manage to find a couple nice links on Google of others that have build these, ranged from pretty simple and cheap to pretty elaborate and expensive. Looking for something in between in cost but functional.

Whoa Bucky !! My unit is nothing like that. No exhaust fans or hoses out
the window. The box is maybe 36" by 24", and big enough for me to put
the plane in to paint it. Test the spray on the inside of the box. Flip the
plane or whatever.

You want a walk in ? Good luck, my friend.

Charles

:lol: No don't need a walk in, but need something that will take those nasty paint fumes out of the basement and away from the furnace so it doesn't spread all over the rest of the house in the winter months.
Something like this, but I think he has a little overkill on the motor for the exhaust fan and could cut that huge filter into pieces and use only a portion of it over the air outlet instead of the whole rear of the box. Pretty impressive though.

Homemade Spray Booth Done! - FineScale.com Forums

Wow that's elaborate. I use the morning newspaper and crack the door. :lol:

'Course I have a strange growth on my face...

Do you have a garage? In the winter, I'll keep the paint and the parts warm until it's time to paint. Then I go out in the garage, paint the parts, then bring everything back inside to dry. Seems to work pretty well. Of course, I'm in CA, so it rarely gets below 30 or 40 degrees F.

My best "paint booth" was an old greenhouse my family used to have when I was a kid; plenty of room, plenty of light, and pretty much the same temperature the year round.

Have only just joined a couple of weeks ago and was going over old posts. Hope this helps.
For quite a while I used a a used a cardboard box fitted with a couple of furnace filters that were duct taped to the inside toward the back of the box. Attach (tape) either a fitting or just the hose from a shop vac to the rear of the box and there you have it I used an old plastic fitting that match the diameter of the hose so I could remove it easily. Use the filters so particulate won't get into the shop vac. Used various primers and Model Master paints, noisy but almost completely odorless. Would still wear a respirator, but that's 30 years of firefighter talking.
Herb

I would say for the most part a couple of computer fans and coffee filter paper would do you well if you want real cheap. Cardboard box with a large computer fan (should be able to find at your local surplus store for near pennies) installed in the back of it, some tubing leading to a window with another computer fan in the end of that and cover the fan in the box with the coffee filter. It's not the most efficient, but if you're spraying in the general direction of the fans in the back it should suck out most fumes. Of course, what I do here in the Great White North during winter is get a box that just fits the model, try to get one that's single-ply corrugated for weight's sake. Then you take it outside and hold it up to spray, cover it and take it inside, and put in a box of baking soda and keep it covered for an hour or so. That gets rid of the fumes and keeps house dust off the fresh paint until it dries enough.

Oh, BTW, make sure you mark "For Spray Paint" on the box of baking soda. ;)

I see some pretty good ideas here. Plenty of food for thought. I built my paint booth thirty some years ago out of 1/4" plywood and some cheap hinges. It has a bottom ( so I don't slop paint all over when I'm mixing it) two sides and a back. On the right side I mounted an used vitamin bottle with a piece of a paper towel as an air filter. Above it I have a used avionics fan ( don't ask where I got it) it's like a computer fan so as the fumes rise up they are sucked out thru a cheapo furnace filter (16 X 20) then thru a piece of dryer duct and out the window. The real trick is NOT to get a fan with too much power because you'll be sucking in dust from the surrounding area right past your model on its way to the filter and fan. Oh, and make the booth big enough that it will accommodate any foreseeable project of course.
That's my 2 cents anyway. Good Luck Bucksnort!

Heres one using some cheap to purchase items! The fan unit is a bathroom odor extractor(a neccesary item in my house). I found this on another web sight and it looked interesting.

Attachments

• z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 95
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 84
  • z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 83
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 104
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 74
He said he found it on another site, so I don't think he knows how well it works. It looks like it would work pretty good tho, maybe not so much for a spray booth, it looks like it's used for glue/paint fumes mostly, or brand new when the pics were taken because the inside is still pretty pristine.

I don't think the fan is heavy enough to work well as a spray booth, unless you spray outside and then place it in here to dry, however you'd need a lid with a filter on it to stop dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back