SQUADRON MAIL ORDER CLOSING ITS DOORS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1610760358349.png

They had periodic sales for many months which allowed me to replace older "in action" series and others lost in hurricane Katrina at very reasonable prices. Also decal sheets.

Bought lots of stuff from them over the years. Was nice to put together an online order and run over there on Saturday mornings and pick it all up. Interesting, in that nothing was said about them closing in the emails I got this last week. Wonder if they are going thru a reorganization and maybe a building move. The building they were in for the last 10 years or so was pretty large... around 51,000 square feet.

Sad, when I was a kid my dad would place an order with them a couple times a year, starting in 1968 when they first opened. He could put an order in the mail with a check and we would get it UPS in exactly a week. Unheard of service for that time. We also got their magazine, yes MAGAZINE that was 1/2 modeling articles and 1/2 catalog. I learned that there were people out there who could build models even better than my dad could.

As a youngster, I would go to their brick-and-mortar store in suburban Detroit several times a year. This was before their mail order was much of a thing. The completed models on display were museum level, and amazed young me, and gave me something to strive for. Later, I felt a bit betrayed when they closed the stores, and moved the then thriving mail order to the (now defunct) Carrolton TX location. Sad to see them go. The various lines of products they supported, and especially the in-house detail providers will be sorely missed. Any body know of any plans for the various lines? Books, Vac-forms, etc.?

Sad to here that they are closing, I had to give up buying from them due to the excessive postage for Italy.
Quite all the US shops are becoming too expensive for the European even if many of them have interesting offers.
mike sierra

Very sad to hear.
The Hannant's (UK) web site has today announced this too, revealing that Squadron had filed for bankruptcy - the many sales and price reductions lately may have been an indicator of this - so items such as True Details parts, vac-form canopies and others, will no longer be available when stocks run out. Unless, of course, someone takes over the production facilities for these items.

where do my fellow Canadians order from? Area I live in is sparse in any type of stores selling kits and supplies

where do my fellow Canadians order from? Area I live in is sparse in any type of stores selling kits and supplies
For kits I hit eBay for a while, building up a retirement stash. It took quite a while as I didn't want to pay more than $40CAN including shipping. I live a 4hr round trip to what vaguely resembles a hobbyshop and can pick up some Tamiya and Vallejo paint plus glue. Here are a few Canadian sites
Mr. Hobby Acrysion
• Online shopping Canada and USA Model Kits Paints Airbrushing Tools
LEGENDS WAREHOUSE.....Great prices on your games everyday!

The last model I bought online was my pre-ordered Airfix Spitfire XIV straight from Airfix. Bad idea for exchange rate and shipping cost. Other than that, I have bought kits and accessories directly from Eduard.com who were, and still are, reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back