St. Maarten Vacation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
Just got back from a week visit to St. Maarten/St. Martin. Great place. Perfect weather and perfect water temperature and nice snorkeling. Its owned by the Dutch and French but generally takes dollars. You've seen this type of pix from here before, and landing videos. It is more impressive in person. The picture was taken outside our residence there. Because of the somewhat short runway, 7100 ft., takeoffs are usually standing takeoffs (full power before brake release) rather than the more common rolling takeoffs. People often stand on the beach a watch and, I guess, to be blown over. Amazing. If you want a close up of an aircraft landing, this is the place to go.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that European dress codes apply to swimware there, tops optional on the Dutch side, everything optional on the French side, so I was told (didn't see any nudies).:D

Attachments

• 747stmartin1209reduced.JPG
    747stmartin1209reduced.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 7,428
I'm with you Viking, just made it back from Nebraska dealing with 9 ft snow drifts, real crappy driving conditions on I-80, just have to repack my bags....:D

St. Maarten is a beautiful place. I've been there many times.

Another short runway like that is on Aruba as I swore we were going to land in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back